Friday 16 December 2011

Santiago, Thursday

1728 Sat outside some restaurantlbar place (D'Angelus Resto Bar) just off Plaza Brasil. Dunno if going to get served but let's see.

Got up late, about 1230. Metro over to Quinta Normal where I spent maybe 2-3h in museo de la memoria y los derechos humanos. Not exactly a barrel of laughs but informative and interesting.

Walking back to hotel with GPS assistance and this is the first place I've seen to eat which really had any appeal. Might be a funny time of day to be looking for food but still.

Could in principle find a supermarket and 'cook' in apartment, but I kind of feel I'd rather eat out since I'm going back home so soon. Were this a longer trip I might well take advantage.

No idea if I am going to get any attention from a waiter out here but hope springs eternal. Will give it 5-10 mins anyway, it's a free sit down if nothing else.

1740 Got menu. Fuck me is it expensive (CLP4500 for lomo liso, whatever that is, and another 1500 for fries) and there's nothing I know I can eat. Gonna have an overpriced draught Heineken (CLP1500, will have to be 2k with tip) then go somewhere else. Fuck knows how long this will take, I expect another 5-10 mins for waiter to come back and the same when I want to pay. Not exactly in a rush but could do without wasting time. Would just walk but I feel sort of obliged.

Will try handing over 2k note with order. If the waiter ever damn well comes back...

1805 OK, at some other place nearer hotel. Rather supercilious waiter said no s(c)hop, only litre or something didn't catch but in hindsight was probably a 330ml bottle. So I left. Don't think he was impressedd but TS.

Ordered steak and chips with diet coke. Holding back on full lomo a lo pobre; that will be something for tomorrow, my last full day. Getting a diet coke with it and then may have a schop here before going back to hotel (which is a couple of hundred metres away)

1841 Food quite good. Getting a schop. Wanted to wash my hands but there are two toilets labelled women and one unlabelled which had a woman in it. Staff waved me down to the other end of the restaurant when I waited outside the unlabelled one for woman to leave but there is nothing except a staff only door and one of the women's toilets down there. So fuck it. Hands feel annoyingly sweaty but what can you do?

I might ask the waiter when I get the beer, actually. Fuck em. He can show me.

1917 Just got bill. Just under 6k, 6.6 with tip. Not too bad with beer. Didn't ask about toilet, be back at hotel soon anyway. Off now.

2149 Was about 700m back to hotel; truth, though it kill me. Went back, tried to order some Xmas presents online, 3Ss and back out. At Crazy Bar on Pio Nono; much more 'normal' than last night. Believe there is live music later.

Fri 1426. Only got up an hour ago. No live music but was karaoke. I sang 'El Rey'. Got home about 4, in bed by about 6.

Need to get out and have a bit of an undirected wander. Last day but don't want to overdo it.

No comments:

Post a Comment