Sunday 11 December 2011

La Serena, Saturday

1551 Museum does indeed open again 4-7. Hoping to get food in some place nr Duna bar. Was toying with observatory tour tomorrow night but wondering it tonight would be better. Got top bunk (rickety as fuck) and not comfortable with getting back drunk/late.

Bit rushed if I can and do do the Mamalluca tour tonight (the one hostel advertises leaves 8pm & gets back 0050 and there being no one on desk, I assume the one I can prob book on street corner is similar) it means I have tomorrow basically free. Not going to do Isla de Las Damas I think. Worried about laundry (can I hand it in tomorrow - Sunday! - and get it back on Monday before I go?) and onward trip - if I do stop in Valaparaiso/Vina del Mar, is likely to just be one or two nights and so laundry an issue then. Also a bit worried about how frequent buses are from there to here.

Anyway, having chicken and chips with a diet coke. Might then book up for Mamalluca tour on way back to museum.

OTOH it is cloudy today at least here. May be different in mountains (tho tis only 1100m according to leaflet at hostel) but in some sense might be better done tomorrow night.

Oh, topped up credit successfully on street outside hostel but GMail still won't send queued up mails.

On other other hand, if I go tonight, tomorrow is gonna be really 'shapeless'. And in a way it would be good - modulo dormitory issues - to have a few beers, a decent sleep and sort stuff out tomorrow re the onward trip. Fuck. This is annoying me.

I must admit until I found out I was on the top bunk I had always planned to do the tour tomorrow night. Maybe I should just stick with that. Mind you, on that decision I'm wasting time eating now, I could have used that to kill time between museum shutting at 7 and going to bar around 9.

Anyway, just got food. Dolloup of fucking mayonnaise on corner of plate but fortunately not contaminating much food.

1624 OK. Left quite a few chips anyway. CLP4k but fuck it. Still dithering about tonight.

1731. OK. At Duna having a schop (800 plus 100 tip, though as I got served at bar wasn't sure about leaving it). Booked up for tour tonight at hostel; they are picking me up at 7.

Figured I'd do it tonight that way it's done. It also naturally lands me back at hostel sober at 0030-ish, so if anyone's about I might try to wangle my way into a chat, if no-one's about no harm done and if people are already in bed I am sober and have an excuse for being back that late.

Bowels playing up a bit all of a sudden. I think holding it back a little on the bus didn't help.

Did the museum (CLP600); boredom and getting up early permitting (it's open 10-1 tomorrow, and not at all Monday) may go back. To be honest I just went there to see the moai, though I dutifully if somewhat lacakdaisically locked at all the other stuff too. Moai was quite cool, despite me having been a little nonplussed with the things on Easter Island. I guess the idea of this thing having been taken away, toured Europe (well, three locations), got broken in Barcelona (according to Bradt guide) and now being here is oddly evocative.

0036 Just got to bed. By chance I just beat the rush; poss one person in here before me, couple coming in now. Not quite sure of etiquette but am sure will pick it up. (Not first time in dormitory, of course, but somehow different this time.) Didn't like to faff with locker at this time of night so camera and wallet are in fleece on end of bed; have however put camera memory card and locker padlock key in hidden belt which am wearing. Another night I guess I could lock camera away say 7-8pm but only got back about midnight or 0015. Few SYTs in reception and poss a couple on roof terrace but not pushing it; didn't want to be coming to bed too late. Just had bit of water solo on lower terrace outside room.

Tour OK if slightly underwhelming. Not as good as San Pedro (and dearer) except moon not up at first which may have helped a little, though it was still twilight. Not a 'real' observatory, just a tourist place. Guess that makes sense as a real obs tour would prob be during day when not working, plus more convenient for tourists during day.

Someone snoring heavily which is good 'cos it means I won't be only one. ;-)

Anyway, may waffle more on tour tomorrow and will try to sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment