Friday 9 December 2011

Iquique, Thursday (part 2)

2107 Thought I'd send what I had before I lost it.

This is going to be a bit of a mish-mash, I think.

Anyway, at Bar Boulevard (didn't quite twig was same place as this afternoon) waiting ages for a schop. Might move on if it is same place as last night, we'll see. Did try to locate El Tercer Ojito or whatever near hostel but couldn't see it. Didn't sound great anyway (Rough Guide's only named bar recommendation). Wandered up Patricio Lynch, ended up in plaza and figured I'd just come somewhere in Baquedano.

Bought ticket to La Serena (CLP22kish, semi cama only, leaves 1730 tomorrow and arrives 1230ish). Hostelworld.com and hostelbookers.com had I think the exact same six hostels in La Serena. Basically, short of turning up and winging it at some random hostel, I had no choice but to book a bed back at Aji Verde in a 6 bed mixed dormitory for Sat & Sun nights. I guess it's OK and it's cheap (about ten quid a night) and it might give me a more 'authentic' experience but not super chuffed about it.

Tried to upload more photos but wifi in hostel or on laptop playing up heavily and only got a few done.

Checked my online banking to make sure nothing too scary on there and that I'm not running out of money; all fine.

2114 Do wonder if am gonna get this beer. One guy took my order, then another guy came along a minute or two later and I told him I'd already ordered. ("Total Eclipse of the Heart" playing!)

Talking to owner woman earlier (probably before paragliding today, but maybe it was yesterday) she asked how long I had or something like that, and I think after I said I had three weeks, she said "did you have to quit your job?". Which I thought was either insightful or a coincidence or suggestive that lots of people do it. (May not have been exactly that point, not sure.) I said I'd done that last year but was just 'using my holiday' this time.

2117 Still no beer. I could flag a waiter down and re-order but (I'm not in a huff) am half inclined to walk. The beer was fine this afternoon but it's not cheap here.

Hmm, waiter just shoved a plastic stand-up thing with number 19 on on my table. I have no idea what that might signify.

Feeling a bit down to be honest. May or may not waffle about that.

2120 Just got small plate of popcorn. Am wondering what the hell is going on. Think I will probably not have more than one here; place from last night was cool in its low key way. Not planning (2121 just got beer!) a bender or anything. Basic plan is three or four and get home somewhere between midnight and 1.

Might possibly go to Duna Rock Bar in La Serena on Saturday night for a late-ish one. On the other hand, if I can do the Mamalluca observatory tour at the weekend, I might book up for that instead.

2136 It may be my imagination, but the night air seems not only a touch too cool, but also rather damp. On the one hand it feels only right to sit outside given the chance, on the other maybe it would be more comfortable inside. Not going inside here anyway; I am somehow reluctant to keep drinking here at 2k a glass.

Is a sign saying it's 2 for 1 on all 'traigas' but I am not sure exactly what one is. That is during happy hour, 5pm-1am every day (!).

2152 Wandered past the ex-railway station earlier. As advertised in Bradt guide, is an old map of the Chilean railway network in November 1968 there. Oddly melancholy.

Did wander past Estari's (sp? bar from first night) but it was shut, either because it was early (5ish) or because of this national holiday.

2158 Yawning. Might as well point out there's obviously a biggish football match on of some kind.

Just paid. Crowd fucking exploded at some event in the football, presumably a goal. Almost scary.

CLP2k, or 2.2 with tip. Paid all except 1k in coins; my pocket has been bulging ridiculously lately. Feels a bit lighter now.

2209 Back at place was at last night next to Ronny Tequila. (Could have easily got a table there, by the way.) Sat inside now though. Somehow feels a shame but no point freezing my arse off outside for the hell of it.

Oh, had a quick look at Santiago hotels earlier. Don't think I will have any trouble getting a serviced apartment thing, but Inmoba is sadly full. (I wonder if they are full, or just showing as such due to that electrical problem they mailed me about.) Not booked yet as not sure exactly which day I will be arriving.

What were presumably car horns going off following a football incident earlier did cross my mind briefly as 'fuck, is this a tsunami warning?'. But no one else seemed bothered, so I decided probably not.

Am feeling a bit tired. Hope I'm not ill. Guess it was a relatively early start for me today.

2255 Am feeling pretty tired. Perhaps stupidly will have one more - got about a quarter of this left - then go home.

2307 Just ordered another. Oddly feeling a little better. May push it to four, we will see. Got to be up about 930 at latest to shower and pack before 1030 checkout.

2345 Just got one more. Still a bit tired but less so than before. Probably be in bed by 1ish anyway. Not feeling particularly drunk, not that I should.

2355 Bon Jovi (?) "It's my life" playing.

Apropos of nothing, will observe my pilot earlier looked vaguely 40ish.

Not gonna do the full waffle - hey, there's a 16+h bus trip for that - but feeling a bit down earlier in part cos this trip nearly over. But unless they renege I have three more weeks in Feb. Plus - who knows what will happen - it's not inconceivable I'll quit in October/November for another big trip. (Not getting any younger so sooner the better. Who knows what will happen in my life though? Also depends on economy - if thrown out of work may choose to travel rather than seek something else. OTOH, if economy stinks and aim gainfully 'employed' may feel it prudent to hang on for a further six or twelve months while I have the option.) And if I do remain in work I hope to get the same kind of deal next year. Means a while without holiday but it's not like I was pining for time off too much during the holidayless stint between last Christmas and this trip. Vamos a ver...

0003 Just been for piss. Stumbled on way out. Turns out I wasn't pissed, there was a big fucking rock wedging the door open which I stumbled on...

0008 While still feeling slightly run down the tiredness and aching eyes stuff has passed. Still got over half this beer left but am thinking, opening hours permitting, it would be good to have another. However, I think I will be strong, simply because of the 1030 checkout.

Hard to believe I only did the paragliding this morning. It seems ages ago. I do wonder if in part the down feeling this afternoon/evening was a kind of reaction to that. It was not really an adrenaline rush sort of thing but it was very cool and maybe after that the usual sort of thing seems a bit of a let down.

0012 Some more people just come in. I must admit I am sorely tempted to push it a little tonight. As long as I get up on time I don't have anything particular to do tomorrow, and if I'm tired it will help me sleep on the bus. Excuses excuses but sod it, I haven't had what you might call a proper night out since Santiago. Not sober but not really drunk either - I mean, this is only my fourth since 9pmish (the lunchtime two count towards liver damage but not drunkenness).

I might also observe that getting back at 0130 would still give me the nominal eight hours required.

0022 Hmm. Am feeling a little pissed. Not sure. I must say that having to interact with staff at the hostel to get in is a downer. Also, while I am certainly not chugging the beer, the time pressure of check out makes me a little less relaxed than I'd like. It could go either way right now. Leaning more towards leaving, and modulo the dormitory might wait for a night in La Serena.

0026 Just asked for bill. If I could stay out super late I'd take it easy and would be cool but under the circumstances (a bit tired, a bit pissed, hostel staff, early check out) not gonna do it. CLP3.9k plus suggested (noticed it on bill) 10% tip. Paid about 4.4k, with all but 3k in coins. I have tons of the damn things.

I am so mature and prudent I scare myself sometimes. ;-)

Incidentally, these three beers would have cost me 6k plus tip at Bar Boulevard.

Will have a piss before I go. Not seriously pissed (four 'pints', to repeat myself) but hope I don't sway too much on walk to bog. I guess in part it's all about confidence, I could drink this much at the Magpie and not think twice. Don't think this is a dodgy place (bar or city) but it's still a bit different.

Left MP3 player at hostel tonight, incidentally. Is a pretty short walk though.

"Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight" playing!

Do feel I'm perhaps missing the best of the night but as per the reasons above can't be helped. In La Serena maybe, or failing that in Santiago. (May or may not do a night or two in Vina del Mar/Valparaiso before Santiago; not sure yet. Leaving options open as may want to extend La Serena by a night if museums/tours a non-option at the weekend.)

0055 Just got back. Quite a few staff including super helpful guy in reception; had brief chat. Good job not pissed. ;-) Felt way more sober after piss before leaving. Walk back cool, few people or cars but the odd one. Had GPS assistance but didn't need it; the grid pattern of streets and a little practice makes it easy to get a feel for the geography. Walked past one open bar further south in Baquedano but obviously I didn't leave the unnamed bar because they were closing so didn't go into other one. Does feel a bit of a shame to have cut the night short but probably smart under the circumstances.

(No SYTs visible, incidentally. Just the staff in reception. I think they might have been expecting some more guests but not sure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment