Friday 23 April 2010

Wafflings between Montevideo and Colonia del Sacramento

Fri 02:36. Got back about 1:15 and stupidly youtubed it up. Going to bed now. Can't believe how different the versions of "There'll Be Some Changes Made" I dug up were. Peggy Lee's version (which I have seen on youtube before) is slightly bitter, Julie London's is more "I am changing and you will like it". I was most astonished at the totally different words in places, as a standard I assumed everyone would sing the same words in their own way.

Anyhow, that is not a very 'abroad' observation. To bed and fingers crossed I can get up in time to check out...

12:20. On the bus waiting for it to leave. Got up at the last possible minute and checked out almost dead on 11. Got a taxi outside the hostel no problem and although I initially suspected there were no buses, it turned out I was just looking at screens which showed some odd subset of the buses. So I got a ticket for this 12:30 bus and had an acceptable (and by bus terminal standards, pretty good and cheap) steak & chips with chocolate ice cream for dessert (it was some sort of set menu deal) for UYU175, or 200 with generous tip.

Oh, the buffet I was at yesterday (El Atlantico) actually included cakes and stuff, so you could have dessert as part of the buffet if you were that way inclined. I wasn't, but I don't think I've seen that before.

Re something I said the other day, I have indeed seen ads using 'vos' here.

17:30. Sat at a table outside El Torreon by the 'river'. Sun a bit in my eyes but it's cool. Very elegant.

Got here about 14:15, got to hostel fine (I walked), I am the only person in my 4-bed dormitory at the moment. I made the bed (a rare and unusual chore), had a shower and got changed then as it was about 4pm by that point and the local museums shut at 5 according to the guide I figured I'd loiter around, so I did a bit of surfing in the hostel courtcard. Came out about 10-15 minutes ago.

I went into some tiny shop to buy a bottle of water. Three people behind the counter, all staring at me with their arms folded. I said 'good afternoon' and the all replies in unison. I couldn't help sniggering at the recollection when I left. I completely automatically used the plural when talking to them, rather than just addressing the guy behind the till.

No comments:

Post a Comment