Sunday 16 February 2014

Arequipa, Saturday

2055 At Brujas. Sat at the bar, all tables (at least in front) occupied, besides might get into chat, might not, tis cool. Guidebook and web have shitted me up re personal safety late (11pm-midnight) and apparently fake taxis where other people get in and rob you are the common scam. I have names of couple of safe firms (but 'beware of fakes'!) but frankly I will prob try to go home by about midnight and I am inclining towards walking. Apart from my peace of mind the only valuable posession on me is my phone. My uninformed-but-what-else-to-go-on opinion suggests that is the lower risk strategy.

This taxi risk strikes at the very core of my travel drinking strategy. By sound of it it's not as bad as Mexico City but still.

Oh, various places offer the dynamite tip 'get your hotel to book you a taxi'. Because naturally people only ever need taxis *out* from the hotel, or they just leave the taxi on the meter outside all night. FFS.

It's PEN7 for a 620ml bottle of Ariquepeña. Not tipped as paying as I go, whether need to or not I don't know. May leave tip on bar, we will see. Feel smidge awkward sat here at bar but sod it, no one cares.

2202 Towards end of second beer. Busy in here now. Some oldish chap sat solo next to me at bar, some other people chatting. Was feeling bit edgy but it's going. Probably not for the best to be reading Dashiell Hammett when I have this 'wild west' feeling from the fucking advice. But really it's OK, it feels OK in here and not deeply worried about getting home. Will do my best to try to get a hostel in Cuzco a nice short walk from bars. Prob be an overnight bus but will see tomorrow, may try tour operators rather than going over to bus terminal, they seem to offer bus tickets and I can pump them re advice. Get impression from web night buses are significantly safer than they used to be. And even risky things often turn out OK, of course. My peace of mind is highly valuable but not so valuable it's worth hiding away forever to protect, and I'm unlikely to lose anything else whatever happens.

2212 Don't Stop The Party playing. Reminds me of Playa de Carmen last February. Que no pare la fiesta!

2222 Apart from Union flag (yeah, bowing to the pedants) they also have a Greene King Abbot Ale towel stuck up on wall. Place seems to be emptying slightly. Given 5am start and slight nerves re walk home I don't think I am haring off elsewhere, let's see how the night goes here. Besides in 2010 I left here and came back as better than other places I found.

0920 OK I guess that was a cool night but I am knackered. I think I will stay here an extra night but anyway let's go to bed and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment