Tuesday 4 February 2014

Santiago, Monday


1258 In queue at 'Custodia' at bus terminal. This is OK but where bought ticket yday still heaving. Quite busy with a general doddering quality, maybe more noticeable cos I am less mobile with bag.

Naturally got up about 1130 after drowsing (tho quite pleasantly) in bed, no problems. They came with the towel cart dead on midday (checkout time) but said just to leave key on kitchen counter, fortunately this allowed me those critical few extra minutes to take a dump...

Got metro over here, thought was surprisingly busy but may be my reduced mobility again.

The luggage store has prices for things like vehicle engines and washing machines (both 4500 a day), unless I am completely misreading the sign.

Not sure what to do today, will probabily somewhat stupidly go to Jerry's for a cheap if not super luxurious bife a lo pobre after this and then look at guide book.

1315 Done, 2000. Some stuff said to me just didn't understand, should have though to turn voice recorder app on beforehand. Still, sorted.

1325 Yeah, at Jerry's, waiting for food.

1400 Looking at guide book, a lot of museums etc are closed on Mondays. So I think I might go over to Cementarios on the metro and have a wander round the cemetery, then time permitting try La Moneda (not sure if have been in there before or not).

1655 OK, just tried to get into La Moneda but I asked one of the guards and it is only open to public Sat & Sun, contrary to what guide book says, tho I am pretty sure it was La Moneda I was at and not the wrong building. I went to the cemetery earlier (almost inevitably had Cemetery Gates by The Smiths stuck in my head the whole time), was surprised to find it had (quiet) roads through it, found the monument to victims of the military dictatorship.

1847 At Restobar Litro's just off (I can see it) Plaza Brasil. Not sure about getting waiter's attention but going to have a beer.

Went to Iglesia San Francisco and (Escudo is cheapest at 2k a litre, I asked, so let's have that) then wandered round small barrio Paris-Londres behind it, saw the plaque at Londres 38 (on floor) but associated 'museum' closed, perhaps no bad thing as today has already been just a smidge on the interesting but morbid side.

Was going to go in some museum next to ISF but it was 1k to go in and it was shutting in half hour so decided not to.

2053 Nearly finished this litre. Tempted to a second. Drinking a bit for sake of it - since I have time to kill - and also bit worried about getting bag etc, but I have three hours till bus goes and I don't have to finish the second litre. I really don't want to spend two or more hours at the terminal by leaving now. Am running phone battery down reading but do have spare, assuming it is still charged - I really should have made a point of switching at some point just to build confidence and give both batteries a periodic top up but to late for that now. (Also once on bus I have my Nook, plus in reality I will probably just put music on phone and not read anything, and playing music is v power efficient.)

2102 Got second litre. Irrationally I immediately start to feel drunk. The damn stuff is 5.5% but even so, two litres (and I've only had one so far) over several hours is hardly a bender of insane proportions. I think this is psychological.

2130 Woo. La Camisa Negra. I am sat outside but music clearly audible out here. Getting bill, not leaving yet but leaves departure open and no way am I having another bottle (still loads of this left).

Bill 4.4k, I think the 400 is 10% tip, that's OK. Will pay it exactly therefore.

No comments:

Post a Comment