Sunday 9 February 2014

Calama-Tacna

Sat 0721 At terminal. Snoozed on alarm at 640 for 5 mins, dragged myself out of bed, rushed out leaving key by front door about 0700, just got here. Not fun getting up but not too bad.

Just as nearly here a chap ran after another in street (there was a small crowd, prob waiting for bus) and I think took a bag back off him and there were words. Didn't stop to watch/listen but assuming it was an attempted snatch-and-walk.

0734 Chap just came up and in oddly hesitant Spanish started a conversation, we switched to English about a sentence in. He was trying to give me a message about the bible but was super polite and un-pushy.

0741 On bus, final destination Arica as might be expected.

0749 Yay. My Nook(R) decided to wedge itself in 'starting up' state. It now insists on being set up again, which can't be done without wifi access. What a crock of shit.

0911 Yay. The bus heating is on. Cos it's just freezing out. And the usual air vents don't even work.

1323 Nearly at terminal in Iquique. Nice views of town on the way in. Road been running right along coast pretty much since we left Tocopilla (sp) IIRC. Temperature improved some time back, they must have turned heating off. Still, it managed to mangle a chocolate bar I had in my bag. I did wonder about bringing chocolate but I thought it would be OK on an air-conditioned bus.

Half watched (reading subtitles in Spanish since had headphones on listening to music) The Lone Ranger film on bus TV. Monstrously cartoonish action sequences. Really was only half watching so wouldn't care to comment on plot such as it is.

Both arms, especially right, seem prone to slight not quite pins and needles feeling but can't think of better way to describe. Just have to hope is nothing serious.

1708 Some pretty cool views of mountains and valleys from road for last half hour or so, colouration showing all sorts of subtle variations.

1751 I don't know if there's a problem but we've been sat here in the middle of nowhere for a while now. I can still feel the engine vibrating so I might hope we haven't broken down.

1821 Still here.

1822 We just jolted and the power went off and on and we seem to be moving now. Fk knows.

1947 I think we're in suburbs of Arica. Sun still up but low. Had we not been late I would probably have got to do bulk of the crossing in daylight. Oh well. Fingers crossed for no difficulty finding a colectivo or bus to take me over. I believe the crossing itself is open 24h a day but doubt public transport does it so long. Of course it is still relatively early so not too worried about that aspect.

2155 (Chile) At hotel. Walked mostly through street market (doddering crowds) as didn't want to change money at bus terminal or use the ripoff looking ATM there. Turns out is two hours earlier here than Chile so the night is yet young. Good job after the fucking delay on bus. Border crossing pretty easy. Anyway, need to go out and find cash machine and write more later.

2208 If wifi works going to send this before hasty shower & change as I feel sweaty as fuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment