Monday 3 February 2014

Santiago, Sunday

1358 Didn't get up til about midday, had bad dreams for some reason. Bit slack but in a sense good to take advantage today since I have to check out tomorrow morning. Going to go out (I know where but can't remember name, will mention it later) in a bit but thought would try to Skype parents first and no answer so will hang round bit more.

Finally forced into wiping camera lens on some nylony bit of clothing as specks on lens are spoiling a few photos. One bit of dirt was quite stuck on and had to dislodged with fingernail. Took some daytime photos off balcony as test and in case not already done, fingers crossed I have therefore not scratched the lens as they look OK.

1722 At some cafe near Bellas Artes metro. Went to Cerro Santa Lucia, then being accosted by a chap who gave me lots of tourist advice on street afterwards and who claimed to be a student of anthropoligy (who I gave a handful of change probably out of manufactured feeling I should reward him for his time) and who told me the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes was free today I went over there. I had been before - I remember the main hall - but it was pretty good, interesting to see a banner which had been displayed in a protest against the military dictatorship in Trafalgar Square in 1974.

Place is La Vuelta Resto-Bar. I am not getting any attention from any waiters.

1735 Going to try Pastel de Choclo, if I hate it I can always eat something else later.

1817 Not quite what I expected but not bad, and surprisingly filling. Not something I would want to eat all that often but glad I tried it.

1833 Got bill (I loitered a bit, service not that bad), 7300 plus suggested 700 tip. Not too bad if not mega cheap. Taking opportunity to break a 20k, then home via (if possible) chemist for sun cream and a shop for some water and possibly a snack for later.

1900 Got sun cream and drinks and some ice cream (lardy, but couldn't pass up opportunity while I still have a fridge/freezer, do wonder if should have made more of it, still) at place next to flat, since I learned yday I should tip the person who puts stuff in plastic bags there wasn't one in there, probably a first. This was not the other supermarket across the road, the one on same side as flat. They had Estrechez de Corazon playing most of the time I was in there.

Wrt to something I wondered on day I arrived, there *is* a floor 13 in this building.

0132 Should be moving towards bed soonish. Bummed around in flat all night, in some ways a waste but nice views over city and it being Sunday night no enormous lure to go out and in a very real sense it seems reasonable to enjoy this relative luxury while I have it. Have uploaded some more photos and done one or two minor chores. Checkout is midday but since it is 'nice' to be in the flat and I have half a pomelo in the fridge to eat tomorrow and I perhaps need to do a small bit of washing up would be good if can be up by about 10. We'll see I guess...

0228 In bed. Not too bad an effort I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment