Friday 21 February 2014

Cusco, Thursday

0228 Need to get to bed. Don't think tonight needs much write up except to say the two women I met were Elsa and Helena, I will turn up at 9 tonight on offchance they do and if not I have already limited contact via email/facebook so may see them in Lima and if not meh, was fun talking to them tonight and they were patient with my slightly drunk Spanish.

0232 Did some laundry and faffed a little with photos more while trying to charge phone/laptop than for any other reason. Laundry seems to be drip drying more noisly and with more liquid to wring out of lower parts than usual. Phone still only at 68%, FFS.

1317 Awake in bed since about 10 or 11 but ridiculously lazy getting up. Anyway, have extended with hotel for Sat/Sun nights and can leave my bag there. Come out for food, fought off moderately persistent tout in plaza and in tiny cheap place El Carmen just off plaza for bisteck montado.

1329 That was pretty good actually, ate the small 'salad' (one slice tomato and some green leafy stuff). Having the coffee included in the deal now. Weather bit overcast today, have been wearing T-shirt plus jacket since I got to Cusco, not that it hasn't sometimes been v warm but not consistently.

1339 Bill 12, will make it 14. Breaking a 50, will try to accumulate some smaller bills today in anticipation of tour. Prob need to withdraw some cash later too.

1635 I am hungry, come to some restaurant for pizza which I somehow crave. No sign of any staff... I went to museum of sacred plants, which was sort of interesting if a bit jumbled and devolved largely into reading of huge volumes of (English) text. Then Museo de Inka (sp) which was interesting if a bit hard to take it all in and I was thinking about food and the now usual no photos rule was annoying. It was quite busy in MdI, not so much in sacred plant place, I was alone though just as I was leaving I had to wait to get out as a group of about ten people with guide filed in.

Being total lardarse and having medium not personal pizza, also pineapple juice (desperate five a day grab) and a sugar-free coke.

1704 Not a great pizza but meh. Easily ate the whole thing, glad I didn't have personal. Will use this as an opportunity to break a 100 then go withdraw some cash, do tiny bit of shopping and back to hotel.

Bill 30, make it 33. My right pocket has developed a hole, sigh, so have to start keeping change in left pocket. Meh.

1746 Back in room. They seem to have given me an electric oil-filled heater, without me asking. Maybe it was hidden somewhere in room and I just didn't notice before they pulled it out, but pretty sure it simply wasn't here before.

2058 At Norton Rat's, not entirely in mood but said I'd be here so... Sort of packed but due to cold room all clothes still damp. Was going to leave heater on when came out but bottled it. Prob have to pack clothes first thing in morning.

May feel different Sat - tho if we do have early start Sat may not - but after drinking a lot (I made it 7 pints of 5.5% stuff, maybe it was only 6) last night I might well not go out Sat night. See how it goes. That was an unusually boozy night and in general I don't think I'm drinking excessively.

2320 Back at hotel, they did turn up about 930, we had a chat, I didn't understand every word and there was a little bit of fake understanding on my part but in general it was OK. They are flying back to Lima tomorrow, I think there is a reasonable chance I will see them there. Only had 2 pints and a little bit of Miller which Helena gave me as she had it left when we were waiting for taxi; they gave me a lift back.

0225 Woke up about fifteen mins ago, feeling irrationally jittery re trip and slightly 'homesick'. Meh. It's not like I'm going to be stuck on the bus for hours even if it is crap, if anything I think the altitude is going to be *lower* than here, I will be back in this OK-if-nothing-else hotel Saturday night, etc etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment