Tuesday 11 February 2014

Tacna, Monday

1231 At bus termina, bought ticket for bus at 1245 taking 6 hours. Went to first place saw as didn't realise loads more ticket windows round corner but judging from the signs in windows I couldn't have done much better on time (I would maybe have liked to go 11ish), best I have seen is 1230 and since guide book says 7h I think 6 is not bad. PEN20 for semi-cama (plus PEN1 tax; I have located the hasslesome booth where you pay this separately, but will pay tomorrow on advice of chap who sold me ticket) is also towards low end of price range from guide book. So seeing all these other ticket windows and feeling like maybe I fucked myself over is just my brain treating me badly. Display here at terminal says 36C...

1317 OK, the market I walked through on the night I got here was not there. No sign of any fruit purchasing options except a few old women sat in streets with baskets of some vegetable looking thing I don't recognise. Bought much overdue new toothbrush and floss. Come to some restaurant for lardy half chicken and chips, then back to hotel to stash ticket and Skype parents and book Arequipa hotel. Went into three change bureau and may well swap my 40k CLP to PEN; will check rate (virtually identical in all three) OK online, but no point sitting on that cash when will be at least 2 years before am likely to be back in Chile.

2009 Went to museum at train station, oddly cool seeing all the old trains and some weird cars converted to run on rails and miscellaneous junk, also hardly anyone there which gave it a slightly 'trespassng' feel. Came back to room and uploaded some photos etc. Needed more water so popped out about half hour ago, was wondering about having a coffee but didn't really appeal so just came back. Were I not remotely concerned about keeping my consumption down I might have had a beer or two, but frankly even that didn't have massive appeal. Nothing wrong with a quiet night in, it's not as if I haven't been out here and I think had it not been for the water I wouldn't even have been strongly tempted to leave room. Quite a few people out and about round plaza, tried to take few photos but not sure how well have come out.

Not eaten since the ultra lardy half chicken and enormous quantity of chips earlier. Did flirt with idea of asking one of those old women what the fruit/veg she was selling was but never got round to it. Slightly tempted to eat when was out but really not hungry, I have snacks for the bus and I may eat at the bus terminal. I asked and checkout is midday, want to be leaving bit earlier than that jic and in some fantasy parallel universe maybe I would be up by 10ish and pop off briefly to some nearby museum before I check out. Not desperate but was 430 when left train museum and most others shut 5 so didn't want to rush then and be good to see something else, but not a massive deal anyway. Wish I could have eaten some fruit but meh. The chicken and chips came with a salad but it was drenched in some kind of dressing. I suppose had I thought about it could maybe have asked them to leave dressing off but I wasn't sure I was getting the salad as part of my deal until it arrived. Anyway, fingers crossed Arequipa is a bit more amenable to fruit purchasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment