Wednesday 12 February 2014

Tacna-Arequipa

1155 At bus terminal. Chap who sold me tkt was obviously on lookout for me and accosted me, his bus isn't going but he has got me on another one at same time. I note the face value of this tkt is 18 not 20, hardly big potential saving had I found other co myself. He showed me the ticket booth where I have to wait for it (not on platform!) and I got my tax ticket (good job didn't pay yday I suppose) and come for food at cafe in terminal. Only three dishes on despite menu so had pollo al horno (with rice and slice of potato as it turned out), OK if not huge portion. Was going to go to La Fragata nr hotel where I ate first night but woman said something incomprehensible if clearly dismissive when asked if they were open. Prob a good job given back of tkt said I had to be here 1 hour early and given chappie was on the lookout for me.

Woke up about 930 on alarm feeling pretty good, didn't get up to go to museum but was quite a pleasant relaxed drowse in bed unlike typical rather taut, bitter ones.

Bill 8.50, which is not to be sneezed at, will make it 10 with tip. Only got 50 note but meh.

1308 Just got on bus (which was due to go 1245). Like a fool despite misgivings I picked a seat in front row on top; the legroom is less - it's borderline OK for me, but even I would be better off in any other row - and there are curtains blocking the view forward. Oh well. At least I am not in the window seat, which has even less legroom due to curve of front of bus. If the curtains are opened might get a view and if not I've learned a lesson for the future.

1343 Yay. It's fucking hot on the bus and we seem to have been stopped 'somewhere' for ages. I suspect the chances of arriving even by 7 are slim. I am fucking glad I had some food this morning. On the upside, I do have a double seat to myself so far.

1529 The aircon seem to have kicked in, which is a relief, but we seem to spend more time stopped than moving. Fuck knows what time we will actually get to Arequipa. We haven't even got to Mocquepila (sp) yet.

1635 Aircon flaky as fuck or only kicks in when temperature hits some insane temp. There is a digital thermometer above my head which alternats between showing the wrong time and 31 degrees C.

1649 Moquegua, by GPS. We may make it not too much after nominal arrival time, it is only 250km ish straight line from Tacna, the wonder is it takes so long (and the explanation probably lies in the inexplicable non-moving delays). This is proving surprisingly gruelling, especially considering I felt so fine this morning. The sun flitting through various cracks in the curtains, the fucking heat (way worse than it has been off the bus), I feel just the tiniest smidge 'car sick'.

1654 OK, some chap sat next to me now but he's not fat and makes little difference. I will be glad to eventually get off this fucking bus. I am reassured to see he just fanned himself with his hand, so it's not just me.

1916 Still fucking miles away, road winds like a bastard, not looking forward to tomorrow's shit trying to find a tour (guide book spectacularly unhelpful) but never mind for now.

2024 Getting sick of driving through endless darkness with a shitty taxi ride to arrange at the destination and the chances of food tonight receding from view. Lying cocksuckers with their 1820 arrival and shitty bus service which stops every few miles for a pause.

2054 FFS we are crawling along a single track dirt road in the middle of nowhere. It is OK, I assume this will just take forever to get us to the terminal or that the terminal is miles outside town and the taxi will therefore be super expensive. Been here before of course but can't remember. Sign a while back pointed this out as to industrial park and bus terminal. I am feeling a bit nervous but I think needlessly so. This is IIRC the second largest city in Peru, the bus terminal is not going to be bereft of facilities nor is it super likely to be absolutely in the middle of nowhere, even if it does turn out to be on the edge of town.

2136 At hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment