Thursday 27 February 2014

Islas Ballestas and Paracas National Reserve

Wed 0709 Sat in reception. Dragged myself out of bed, wish had had more sleep but twill be OK, 4-5h not a huge amount but not nothing either, in part the slight tiredness I feel now is probably more my usual morning shitness than lack of sleep. Slightly hungry but going to try to hold off eating until after boat. Wondering if I should have a cereal bar though. Hmm, I'm not really properly hungry so perhaps best not to.

0714 No, sod it, I will have cereal bar.

1034 Fuck knows. After the tour the group dispersed. There was no announcement, even an incomprehensible one. I think someone said something to some about 1030, but as it is I am just milling around where we milled around pre tour in hope something turns up. Super fucking shit. I bought a sandwich from some vendor so not mega hungry but do I have an hour to kill or what? The one consolation is that one family I recognise as part of my group (though they are not necessarily doing the same second tour as me) is sat nearby apparently waiting for something.

Islands quite cool, no one seemed to get sick or get shat on, though I kept squinting due to sun (even though it was behind me, weird, next time I get glasses I am definitely getting photochromatic) and the way the strap on my cap broke (in the fucking bag a week or two ago, not while I was wearing it) meant I had it on mega tight and I also ended up sat in an aisle seat on the right and most of the viewing was to the left so it was a tiny bit crap like that, but generally pretty good really. Except that now I'm lost. Oh no, tour chap just came up to me - it's 1039 - and said 'here at 1045'. Tour seemed a bit short but OTOH with the sun and the uncomfortable lifejacket and so on I guess it was long enough.

1406 Had lunch - finally, I was gagging - waiting for cheque. Fairly decent grilled sea bass with rice and chips. We went round the Paracas National Reserve or whatever they call it, attractive in a sort of desolate way but I was tired and hungry and not super appreciative. Still bit tired but food has helped a lot. Bill 38, making it 42. Let's use bog and see if I can get an ice cream, we are reconvening at 1430 but no idea what we are doing.

Place is El Che. I did a moody circuit of the few restaurants here to compare prices, all about the same, avoided the ones with touts.

1424 Oh, did see some (I think) condors flying about in the park and swooping round the coast quite close up, quite cool (not captured on film, unless you sit there waiting for an opportunity by the time you see it swooping towards you and get camera out it's gone past and no longer makes a particularly good photo).

Fod was priceyish but couldn't be helped. I could have had chicken and rice or something like that for 20 instead of 30ish for the grilled sea bass, all the fish dishes (the majority) were more pricey but I figured what the hell. I think the 620ml beer was 8. Was going to finish with a coffee (largely to fill time) but they didn't have any.

1524 Been back at hotel 5 mins. Tired, slept bit in minibus. Will eat the apple left over from yday then go out for cash, bus ticket and more fruit.

1629 Got cash, fruit and cold soft drink. Woman at Flores office said she couldn't sell me a ticket. I asked why, didn't really understand but she might have said they could only sell me one when the bus arrived!? I just have to hope tomorow. Useless fuckers. In hindsight should have tried to freak her out by pulling out phone, turning recording on and asking her to repeat explanation for my Spanish lesson. I just had to give her a 'you're kidding me... but I guess it's no good to argue' disbelieving stare.

Owner said yday alt option is to go to Cruz del Pisco and flag down one of the buses passing every 5 mins. Rather not do that (robbery prone on such a bus? Fk knows) but probably not have too much trouble geting to Lima one way or another.

0014 Don't want to go to bed. Don't want to go on what I imagine to be foul bus tomorrow. One of my 32GB photo backup SD cards has somehow got screwed up as I tried to copy more photos on, netbook is grinding through fsck now but frankly I doubt it will finish by morning even if (as I plan to) I leave it on all night. Didn't (partly due to that) take it down to reception to research Galapagos Islands further, though I am worrying I am running out of time and prices will soar further. Inclining towards doing a half-decent cruise as the "safe" option but need to research it. Hope I am not going to be too run off my feet in Lima. Didn't go out for food or drink tonight, wasn't hungry after fruit and while in some sense would have been nice to have a Pisco Sour here it's not as if I often drink them, plus I wasn't really in mood and for better or worse guide book makes out that walking across the plaza/market area (it's a bit unclear where it means exactly, how unusual, normally it's *so* precise) after dark could be dangerous and all in all decided not to bother.

Not happy about SD card but do have other copies if it is a write off. I am almost certainly going to have to buy (at exorbitant prices) a couple of new SD cards here as existing ones nearly full anyway. Oh, and I have a suspicion that the wifi is switched off at midnight here, since both tonight and last night it has completely failed/disappeared as opposed to just being ropey as hell. Which is pretty shitty. I may ask about this tomorrow morning, but probably not.

0029 OK, let's go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment