Friday 22 November 2013

Bangkok-Singapore

0905 In cab heading to airport. Got up about 0825. Pillow covered in bloodstains from slightly-bad-but-wasn't-*that*-bad shave, but meh. Got dressed, had packed of peanuts, etc. Checked approximate SGD/GBP rate ready for withdrawing cash in Singapore (2.1 to the pound). Got down to reception just before 9, got my key deposit back and they offered to get me a taxi. I shoved 60 in the tip box on the desk; figured it was worth it in return for minimising taxi hassle (I told them I was going to Don Meung (sp) airport, they told driver) and fairer/less embarassing than handing the chap who came out to get me a taxi some cash.

Stood outside, not too intolerably warm at this time of morning in long-sleeved shirt and jacket (AirAsia 7kg allowance encouraging wear of heavier and as many garments as possible) when not moving at least. (Should be OK, it's airconditioned all the way, plus I have a T-shirt handy in my bag so I can change into it and shove what I'm wearing now in the bag on arrival in Singapore if I want, or for comfort if I fall foul of the 7kg weight restriction anyway and want to change at the airport here.) We couldn't get taxi on hotel side of road so the chap shepherded me to the other side and we got one there. Driver confirmed DMK with me shortly after we left. So it should all be good.

0959 At DMK. 220ish on meter, made it 260. Also had to pay 55 for toll road (guy asked if I wanted to) but bit odd I had to hand the money over at the time, I had been assuming he would pay and then add it on to the final fare. Anyway.

1013 Airside. Not super happy. You have to pass your bag (nothing else, not your clothes) through a scanner to get into the bit of the airport where the passport control and security check is. They then put a seal over the zip. So I was all 'when can I take this seal off?' and they didn't understand. I needed to be able to take the laptop out for weighing (which I guess will happen at the gate), plus if they cut up rough I need to take my daypack out of the bag before checking it in. I had to compromise on taking carrier bag with laptop out and am lugging it round separately, which is obviously not remotely increasing the risk of me losing it. I might hope now my entire person has been security screened properly I can remove that seal, but obviously I can't risk it. I have no fucking idea what the need for the seal is, I am unclear exactly what the initial screen of baggage only is for but the seal just seems insane.

Anyway, I have three hours to kill now but at least I'm here. Still no certainty on the bag, of course.

Will I be allowed to break the seal on the bag once I'm on the plane? My noise cancelling headphones are inside it in the daypack. What a fucking crock of shit.

I would have taken the daypack out at the initial security checkpoint, with the laptop inside, and carried that separately. But since the rules say I am allowed one item of carry on baggage plus a laptop, I didn't want to be 'stuck' with two bags. All for this fucking stupid seal, which proves my bag was screened the first time, even though the mere fact I am in this part of the airport proves it has had a second screening. Logically I could remove it now, but this is air travel in the 21st century so logic has absolutely fuck all to do with the matter.

1023 It occurs to me this isn't even AirAsia's fault or due to flying hand luggage only by choice. If I checked in my main bag (before or after that first screening) I'd still have been carrying my daypack and they'd still have sealed it and it would still have stuff in it (like my headphones) which I'd want to access while hanging around at the airport. (The laptop would not be one such thing if AirAsia weren't so arsey with the 7kg limit, but there'd be other things.)

1028 Just to underline the sheer stupidity of it, my bag has a side pocket which isn't sealed. I've slipped the laptop in there for now to reduce risk of losing it.

1033 At some cafe in terminal, possibly called S&P. Getting chicken massaman curry and some water. Curry is not mega expensive by airport standards (185 IIRC), there is no price shown for water but figure it can't be more than other drinks plus I can take the bottle out with me if I don't want it all.

1040 I wonder if they will leave weighing bags at the gate until it's boarding time, so as to add maximum pressure and stress to the situation. I guess I can only try to get there relatively early and hope.

1113 Food pretty good and decent portion. Lingered over the water. Got bill now, 253 including their 10% service charge. I paid exactly that.

1123 At gate. Hardly anyone here. Don't think desk is manned, also I don't want to force them to weigh my bag, I suspect they will weight everyone's bag regardless as it's the budget airline thing to do, but maybe they won't, so I wouldn't ask even if the desk was manned.

1159 Getting slightly worried they will just deny me boarding if my bag doesn't pass muster, instead of charging me extra. That would be a total win for them, as they'd save slightly on fuel by not having me on the place, then I'd have to hope I could get a seat on a different flight later today, probably with them, and pay top whack for that ticket and the full airport price for the 20kg checked baggage allowance. I have to hope this doesn't happen, but I just don't trust budget airlines at all.

I suppose it should be OK. With the very slight exception of a few bits of paper (I posted most of what I'd accumulated back home) I was allowed to fly out with this hand baggage by an airline with the same weight limits. I am also wearing my combats today, with the pockets moderately stuffed, so that takes a bit of extra weight off, not to mention that they weigh something like 100-150g more than my other pair of trousers, so merely wearing them instead saves that on the weight.

Is there anything I'd be prepared to throw away if it made a difference? Assuming at that point I'm allowed to unseal my bag. I suppose, though it's not very heavy, the cheap white Primark T-shirt which has the yellowy stains on is not of huge value.

That blister or whatever on sole of right foot itches intermittently. Not too bad though.

They didn't make a big deal out of telling you to go anywhere to get your bag weighed. I think I read on some forums on web when i did a brief search after booking and realising this was a budget airline and that said they weigh bags at gate. I can accept being charged a fee at that point, but it is going to be fucking annoying to say the least if they just tell me to fuck off.

It looks as if we will have to get a bus over to the plane.

1253 On plane. Not been weight checked yet. By dint of much fiddling at seat got netbook into daypack, daypack under seat in front and main bag locked up in overhead locker. No doubt they'll come round and weigh now.

Seat pitch seems extremely tight but it may be my imagination. It's OK anyway.

While I remember, both Tony and the young English chap whose name I forget/didn't know said the air quality here in Thailand (in cities) and especially in Bangkok was bad. Tony smoked quite heavily, the young guy didn't. Said it hurt their eyes as well. I seem oddly insensitive to it, though no doubt it's eating away at my body just as much.

1320 My seat is broken, the 'recline lock' isn't working. I have no idea where the fucking  button is anyway, but basically it reclines if I lean back. I had to keep myself leaning forward during takeoff so it didn't go back.

1550 (still on Thailand time) At airport landside waiting for train to T3 so I can get the train into town.

1615 Just on train waiting to leave airport. Big queue at the ticket window for tourist tickets. Bought the 3 day pass, annoyingly that won't cover me for Monday to go to the airport so will have to get single then or something. But for SGD30 (2 day would have been 26) this seems a reasonable hassle-free option. I kind of hope to be a bit 'busier' about my tourism than usual here, given I only have three nights and two full days.

1718 On local time now.

1835 At hotel. Room small and windowless and just the tiniest bit shabby but not too bad, I did kind of expect this from the reviews. They asked me to sign a declaration I was the sole occupant (calling me back on my way to the lifts to do it), which was slightly odd.

I got the MRT to Bugis, GPS even worked so I walked over from there. However, feeling a bit hungry and not wanting to have to rush out as soon as I got into the hotel, I called in at the KFC providentially encountered en route for three pieces of chicken and large fries.

Now I'm not there any more will say I was at Tara Place in Bangkok.

I felt a bit sleepy and crap on the flight, probably because I was wearing relative heavy clothes and maybe also I had been a touch short on sleep previous two nights (or at least slept at funny times).

I must say the flight was not as bad as I expected, basically the 7kg baggage bogeyman made me really nervous (the 7kg limit is plastered everywhere you look, and I had read stuff on web about them being strict to enforce it) and since it never materialised it was fine. It's a shame I had to fuck about with all sorts of stuff in my pockets as it slightly lowered comfort on flight, but still, it was OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment