Friday 15 November 2013

Lampang-Chiang Mai

1141 Well this is going better than expected.

Woken up at 8 by loud carnival-style drumming IIRC from street outside. It stopped eventually or I fell asleep regardless. Woke up again 9ish feeling bit crap. No wifi. Eventually around 10 wifi started to work so I hopefully have a vague idea where CM hotel is.

Thought I'd lost my room key as I was about to check out, even though I obviously had it to get in last night. After ripping bag apart it was in my pocket after all, of course.

Checked out about 1105, told them about the mouse. Don't know if woman spoke enough English to understand so I wrote 'mouse' on a bit of paper. Meh. Got my key deposit back at least.

Fiddled with bag in street outside to get shoulder straps out to walk to bus terminal a bit more comfortably. As was doing that songthaew came past and driver said 'taxi?'. Cos I was distracted I kind of didn't respond quick enough, afterwards wished I had. But another passing songthaew hailed me a few minutes later, and he said he was going to the bus terminal, so that saved time and effort and only cost 20.

The shoulder straps didn't make it effortless to carry the bag but probably better than using the handle, although it wasn't mega hot - I could still imagine back getting sweaty after a while.

Got here and paid 74 for ticket on the 1215 bus, which seems almost too cheap but still. Popped over to 7-Eleven to buy replacement peanuts (I gorged on my 90g reserve packet last night post-mouse, deliberately got a smaller packet this time to reduce calorie overdose if I get tempted, and of course they are supposed to be in reserve for being hungry on a bus trip where can't go to a shop) and a croissant, which I ate just now.

Had a huge dump before left hostel :-), am flirting with using the bog at the terminal but all else being equal I'd rather not.

1204 On bus. Managed to squish main bag into top rack after taking daypack out, though bit tighter than on last one. Coach moderately plush. Seats not actually labelled but logic suggests I am in the correct seat (4C, trivia fans, and I was in 4D on way in). Woman checked tickets before letting me on so definitely right bus, though it is actually quite clearly labelled.

1354 Chiang Mai bus terminal.

1440 Virtually at hotel, on corner of predicted location and there is a sign. Getting ice cream, walked from bus terminal - largely my choice, didn't fancy doubts over driver knowing where it was or unzoomable text showing address (which  I do at least have in Thai script).

1459 Checked in. Room quite nice, not super plush but it's not super expensive either. GPS mysteriously working now by the way, which was helpful to walk over.

1506 Had to phone down to reception for wifi password as doesn't seem to be shown in room, but it works, at least enough to send an e-mail. Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment