Friday 15 November 2013

Chiang Mai, Friday

1639 Off out. Plan is just to wander and maybe get some food, then perhaps come back to hotel and slob around (perhaps even do Spanish homework) and then go out about 9ish in hope of some modest nightlife, it being Friday.

1652 At The Bistro, not far from hotel (but not on same street). A few probably OK if not amazing bars on hotel street (also an Indian restaurant, and one opposite here), will save those for eg Sun/Mon. Thought this place seemed OK tho coke is a bit expensive, if going to eat again when go out tonight don't want to spend ages walking around looking for food now, also modulo that Magnum and croissant not eaten yet today. Will have Kao Soy Gai and a diet coke.

They do fish & chips here, though way more expensive than most dishes at 250. I can live without fish & chips for now. Lots of tourists on street and the relatively few customers probably also tourists. Kind of a welcome relief to feel back on tourist trail.

Having said that, guide book is a bit overwhelmingly detailed. The electronic format works against flicking about, but still, definitely worth using that instead of lugging around four paperbacks (one per country) with me. Apart from its suggestion there is a half decent restaurant (sigh) with live music across river not far from hotel not worrying too much about its recommendations tonight.

Food here, with chopsticks!? Got a fork after some difficulty.

1718 Was very good. Loitering slightly, will get bill shortly. Music all instrumental covers of various hits. "Hotel California" right now.

90, made it 100 with tip.

GPS no longer functioning.

1830 Back at hotel. Just walked west up to and through Tha Phae gate and continued along same street until got fed up and retraced steps. Obviously lots of potential for daytrips to do stuff I haven't yet managed, have to look into that tomorrow and maybe book something for day after.

2209 Boy Blues Bar in night bazaar near hotel. Had Spanish lesson til 9, left hotel 910ish, wandered over to bars otherside of river but foul. However, cool as got to see fire balloons and little boats on river with candles. Live music here, OK. 110 for a bottle of Leo. Meh. Anyway, write more later.

2234 Crock of shit. No bog, you have to go downstairs into night bazaar. Lost my benchy thing to group of 4, have staked out a table and tis OK but still. Second beer. I can see my hotel from here, I think, tis very close. Wondered if should go there to use bog, but room is on floor 5 so extra distant, and it's not quite *that* close. Pay for drinks at bar here, no tab. So no tips either from me, FFS at 110 they don't need it. Still, not too bad a place. Closed Sun, jam night Mon, may come for that my last night here, might bring back memories of jam sessions at Grey Horse in Kingston.

2259 Band taking short break. Nearly finished second beer. Tis OK, it's Friday night and this is hardly insane.

Music pretty good if not absolutely my taste.

Anyway, earlier.

Guide book said there were some bars on east side of river (Ping - same as in Tak) so went over there not expecting to see any Loy Krathong stuff. Noticed these orange lights in sky. At first thought were bulbs on wires invisible in dark. As got to bridge NE of hotel saw more so high could hardly believe on wires. Only a few minutes later as I saw one close up did I realise they were fire balloons. Dozens in sky at once. Super cool over river. Wandered down east bank, watched a group of people, probably a family, launch one. (Memories of rather ill-advised and Flintham-worry-esque launch of similar in garden at Christmas other year in memory of grandparents.) Some bars/restaurants there further on but not the ones guide book mentioned. All looked either super posh or horribly pseudo-poncy-nightclub esque.

Walked up to next bridge along (the one I crossed on walk from bus terminal earlier), road got rather quiet up that way tho guide book showed some bars up there. Pavements super obstructed and relatively high traffic volume made it bit scary walking in street, tho OK. Turned back at that bridge and retraced steps. This time facing oncoming traffic and since could see what was coming was super cautious, makes me wonder if was slightly foolhardy to walk in road on way up but couldn't see the traffic so didn't worry.

Decided not to go in any of those wanky bars. Back nearer bridge more street markety (slightly tempted by whole-squid-on-a-stick but didn't). Stalls selling little boats with candles to launch. Wandered down to bank to see people launching them, river a few inches below level of bank at that point. Some woman selling little boats at 20 there, was tempted but figured if was going to participate should probably do it no more than once (not sure will stick with that) and (more significant) should attach some significance to it so best to think about it and do it tomorrow and/or Sun (which think is main night). Some more elegant mini-boats on street for like 180+ but if I do it the 20 boats will be fine.

Talked about Loy Krathong with Spanish teacher in lesson before saw any of this. I said they launched little 'barcos' and she heard me say 'vacas', which led to some confusion for a few minutes. Took about five minutes before this came out, fuck knows what she must have thought during that time! It was when I said there was fire (didn't realise, tho obvious, it was candles) on the little boats we sort of had that WTF moment which lead to clarification.

Was super cool to stand on bridge on way out to (as I thought, not in reality) bar and watch the fire balloons in the sky. Dozens of them up there, at different sizes from obviously fire balloons to a majority of small bigger-than-stars points. At first wished had brought camera but then decided it was a good thing. I will take my camera out one night (perhaps Sun) but also a) this sort of thing is super-hard to capture decently on a camera (loads of people with serious looking cameras, fair play to them, if they like that and have the talent, I'm sure there will be some great photos taken, tho am sure is even moore wow on Sun) and b) much better to experience it that worry about taking shitty photos. Would have lingered longer on bridge both out and back but since there are still at least Sat/Sun didn't overdo it.

Band back on, it's 2309.

Was intending to eat tonight at bar but this isn't the place, not sure they even do food. Tis OK and good job I had that food this afternoon.

2357 Just trekked out for a piss. Beer 4. Guest singers on. V good. V touristy (guests are prob expats of at least short duration, most of audience look western) but v good.

0022 Band just finished. I am a bit drunk but a good night. Tempted to have another beer but probably not. Still have a glass full. Wouldn't have thought it without seeing his CD collection after he died but my Uncle Bob would have loved tonight. At least I'm here and can enjoy it before I die.

0032 Has been a certain exodus. Only three balloons in sky compared to about a dozen earlier. Would be happy to meet people here, but far from desperate and clearly not happening. Will go home when finish this beer. Just hope don't get lost in the market on way back. Blues music playing on sound system, sure Uncle Bob would have liked that.

Not original thought but reminded of  it indirectly by Spanish lesson earlier. I might be a bit of a sad loser travelling solo but if I was with anyone things like the encounter in Mae Sot probably wouldn't happen. Gotta take the rough with the smooth, and (my personal motto) the smooth with the rough.

Not sober but not too pissed. Would be grateful and comforting if could use GPS to get home but probably OK, I can see the hotel from here and the stairs will probably not disorient me too much.

0027 OK, let's go.

0040 Prev entry must be wrong, presumably 0037 cos in lift now, hotel a minute or two away. Maxim bar on hotel street busyish but not prudent to go there, save it for another night. Slightly tempted to pop back out there but no, what's the point and can have tomorrow night there.

0053 Fuck me, I don't have double vision but as I lie on the bed looking at the ceiling the room seems to rotate about an axis passing through my hips. I really don't feel that drunk, but fuck that, I have been drunk before and yet have never experienced this. It doesn't make me feel queasy or anything and as I write this looking at the phone it is not happening, but how bizarre. I feel OK, but having just experimentally stared at the ceiling it is still happening, so I am going to bed before it turns into anything disturbing.

Man, if I felt more pissed than I'd ever been in my life I might accept this, but I feel a bit drunk and no more and yet I have this bizarre experience. Meh, to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment