Saturday 9 November 2013

Sukhothai-Mae Sot

1051 At hostel having breakfast (paid, I think). Struggled a bit to get up but did about 925 (I had woken up voluntarily about 730, natch, bit hot & sweaty despite aircon). Left hostel about 1020, got tuktuk outside hostel for 60 (which is what the guide book says it should cost). Made it 70.

Got there, some waving around from pillar to post but basically the 1115 bus (they're minibuses, I think) full, so paid my 157 for a seat on the 1320. I have to be there for 1300.

Toyed with hanging around at the terminal for the 2.5h since didn't much like the idea of paying nearly the bus fare again in extra tuktuk rides. On the other hand, the idea of a proper lunch with toilet facilities thrown in had some appeal. As I was dithering I saw a songthaew outside and ran over, so got that back into town for 20. Not sure if will go back by tuktuk or try to get songthaew, probably a tuktuk. It's not a lot of money but it is annoying.

Toyed with Pai and Poo restaurants but didn't like thought of micro portions. Think Chopper Bar was better, but not sure. However, they don't open til 4 - I went in. So I came to the hostel restaurant to see how that goes, not clear if only the breakfast menu was on but having the american breakfast (choosing scrambled eggs and tea, plus two slices toast and ham and bacon) for 120. I shouldn't have come here as I left a bloodstain on the pillowcase (shaving cut) and I don't want them to have a chance to accost me and demand money, though they probably won't and too late to do anything about it now.

1141 Lingering at table, I doubt anyone cares. I don't know if I could have avoided this three trips to the terminal business, e.g. by asking hostel to book me a ticket. Anyway, can't be helped now.

1238 At bus terminal. Got tuktuk outside hostel again no problem, 60, this time I didn't tip (cos didn't want to fumble for change, last time paid 20+50 in notes). Unable to have a shit before leaving, doubtless I will want to go the instant I get on the bus.

This tuktuk had the passenger bit in front of instead of behind the driver as the one this morning did. Obviously a much better view but does feel, rationally or otherwise, a bit more exposed. Fortunately it's a short trip and the traffic here isn't too heavy.

1258 Thought bus was here but on lurking round it driver said 'next one' and it's now gone. He didn't even look at my ticket; can I be the only tourist going that way about now? Mind you, even then how would driver of earlier bus know.

Another one is here now.

1301 No, apparently this isn't mine either. Still done without looking at my ticket. Woman who sold me the ticket just told me she will tell me when mine comes. Feel a bit of a twat but frankly not sure what else I could be doing. Think this one is going the opposite way. Actually, I say that because of the order of the town names painted on the side of the bus, but that's clearly immutable and hence not relevant. There isn't even a changeable sign in Thai in the window. So fuck knows how even the locals understand this.

1304 Modest (call it an inch) but fortunately very spindly spider on back of chair leg. It is bouncing itself up and down for some reason. I had one like it on my bag a few minutes ago, maybe it's the same one. Hmm, maybe the window is blowing it and it is clinging on and that's which it's bouncing.

1655 At hostel. Walked from centrally bus terminal. Bai Fern, which was my second or third choice, came out and told me they were full as I dithered outside. Bit disturbing. Couldn't find Ban Thai and the one opposite mentioned in guest book. Found this place on street. "Do you have a booking?" No I don't, because nowhere does it online and I didn't want to Skype from such a shitty connection as I had last night. Fortunately they had an aircon room for 500 a night for two nights, so bullet dodged. Gonna go down and pay and maybe quick wander in street for ice cream before come back for much needed shower.

1755 Been for wander, had ice cream and bought some fruit juice; there is a fridge in the room, it was unplugged but I have plugged it in and will hope I don't get charged for the privilege. Town seems OK if not huge. No obviously going-to-be-lively places to go later but a couple of vague possibilities.

Bus was a bit crap; I got joint second-worst seat (back left corner, with a single seat in front of me, and four of us on the back row; worst would have been back right, with a double seat in front). Couple talking in incomprehensible Spanish occupied right two seats at back, they got on and off with me. The man especially had a very strange accent (to my ear) and spoke very quickly. Disappointing I couldn't understand them. Really did feel quite cramped up. Fortunately at Tak about an hour later someone got off. I didn't want some newcomer to get on and steal a half-decent seat so I signalled to guy next to me to let me out and moved up. I think I accidentally nicked some woman's window seat due to moving over when she got back on after stretching her legs instead of letting her through, but meh. Was OK after that, though a bit tiring (it's amazing how sitting there can be tiring) and a bit worried about arrival.

Still, all sorted now. They rent cycles here as well as motorbikes, not sure if I care about that but will probably peruse guidebook over food and beer later. No massively obvious tourist agencies or touts for trekking or trips in town on my brief wander, FWIW.

Place also seems to be spelled Maesod on some signs, if I am not getting confused, but I will stick with guide book's spelling (and some other signs I've seen).

Oh, there is a sign here to the 'Thailand-Myanmar Friendship Bridge', ie that doesn't call it Burma.

No comments:

Post a Comment