Wednesday 20 November 2013

Chiang Mai-Bangkok

Tue 1754. At bus terminal, just got here. Got a tuktuk on street up from hotel, flagged it down. He quoted me 150 which was what I expected though not sure why. Felt a bit high but I wasn't going to quibble. I showed him the bit of paper given to my by Green Bus, was a bit dubious in case it got me a worse price but wanted the comfort of assuming we were going right way. The traffic was terrible, so in hindsight 150 not so unreasonable (made it 160 a bit akwardly as he gave me change from 200). He was driving on the wrong side of the road at times, though presumably this is kind of tolerated here. I was a tiny bit worried I'd be late for the bus, but I had allowed a fair margin of course.

1758 Yay. Departure screen shows two buses to Bangkok at 1900 and neither is Green Bus. There are also a load at 1830 when they told me to be here, also not Green Bus. Most probable is a 1900 bus at platform 7 which is what it says on my ticket. (Lots of other buses show as Green Bus, this isn't a 'different name for the same company deal'.) Let me see if I can find a green bus window to ask. It's very clever how all the Bangkok buses depart exactly at 1830 and 1900.

Think national anthem is playing on speaker. Guide book said something about this, especially in small towns, but this is the first time I've ever heard anything like it.

1802 Showed woman at Green Bus counter ticket. She pointed round corner. I asked 'platform 7?' and she said 'platform 7'. This would be the first time the platform printed on the ticket is right...

The bus company shown on the board for the 1900 platform 7 is Chokerongtavee Tour.

1805 Into the lining. I'm at platform 7 and there is a bus there and although it doesn't say Bangkok in Latin script, it says 1/1900D and 19:00 which is what my ticket says. I am not attempting to get on it yet. Going to be sat down long enough without rushing on.

1809 Switched battery, it was down to about 25-30% after todat's loitering and book reading on phone. This should see me through the trip, especially if I read on my Nook or just listen to music, and if push comes to shove I have a third spare battery anyway. (One advantage of having had so many broken phones of the same model. ;-) )

Not bought any peanuts and not going to panic buy any now. I have that dried longan if push comes to shove, and I was feeling a bit full as I ate the green curry fried rice with pork at Pwhatsit anyway, so I don't expect to feel massively hungry any time soon. They might give us something on the bus, you never know, though I am not banking on it existing or being mayonnaise-free.

Not as many tourists loitering around here as I'd have expected, both at the terminal in general and at platform 7 for this bus.

Oh, been meaning to observe for ages that despite my confusion back as far as Lop Buri night market, they clearly do use arabic numerals as standard here. I think I was confused by some short word(s) on the banknotes in Thai which I inferred to be numerals.

1827 OK, I am on the bus, daypack at feet and main bag squished in overhead rack. I was tempted to shove it in the boot, but why run the risk of having it go walkies when I can keep it with me. Also this way if I suddenly crave eg the extra strong mints in my jacket pocket or the jacket itself against overzealous aircon I have the option to yank it down.

American woman asked if there was toilet on bus just before I got on, guy said yes. Good to have confirmation. I don't actually see it, oh yes, the bus is weirdly '1.5 deck' with the single floor of seats much higher than the driver, and there is a stairwell on left side halfway alonhgbbus which leads to an exit and I think also a toilet cubicle. I don't really need to go right now, having been at the Pwhatsit place (before and after eating, 'go when you can') and not drunk too much, but if there wasn't a bog on here I might have squeezed a drop out just in case.

Wed 0649 At hotel, left bag, going out to get cash, room might be ready about 10. Sat next to Canadian chap on bus, he started talking to me and we chatted a lot. Probably meeting him tonight for a few drinks. We also got talking to young English chap in seat in front; he was going straight on to Huamphalong train station for 8h train ride then 3h bus to somewhere. We got in early, about 5. Got free bus from Mo Chit bus terminal to Mo Chit BTS with them, then travelled over to Siam on first train (6; we had to wait) and got taxi. No taxi driver could understand the Latin alphabet block capital address I had handwritten for the hotel, on the third or fourth attempt I had the wit to say 'Khao San Road' because they were bound to know that. GPS didn't function of course and the OSM street names in Latin are bullshit but managed to walk over here.

Was going to get bus from Mo Chit to west end of Khao San Road but it was dark and since I was with those guys felt better to stick with them. 42 for BTS (Skytrain) and 61-made-it-80 for taxi.

0731 Went into Aroi-Dee Thai Food. Waiter saw me sit at table, look at the Thai-only menu (it's all in English outside) as he stood next to me and didn't say anything. Then he disappeared for a while. Then he sat at a table at the other end of the room and stared at me. Fuck knows. Other people were eating in there - other tourists. Anyway, I've left. Cunt.

0736 At Sakul House round corner, having scrambled egg, bacon, ham, sausage & tea for 90. Feeling oddly more paranoid about food safety round Khao San way - "meh, they're all tourists, who cares about repeat business?" But I guess that's probably silly, also a lot of SYTs probably spend weeks or months here continuously.

Didn't sleep great on bus and obviously mouth dry as fuck when did wake up. They stopped at midnight and gave us a ticket so we could get off and have a brief (OK if nothing special and not much more than a mouthful) sit-down meal for free. I wasn't asleep but still.

May go back to bed til midday ish if get into hotel 9-10ish and can sleep, will see.

0751 Food OK and there were two slices of toast, though the sausage was a stub about an inch long and the bacon and ham portions were hardly generous. About enough bacon to wrap round a cocktail sausage.

0755 Getting an orange juice, probably rack the bill up but sod it, will give me an excuse to sit here a bit and also avoid the 'is it OK?' issue of giving a 10% tip of a measly 9 on the 90 bill.

0821 Can't loiter any more. Bill 150, slightly manipulated by change into a 20 tip.

0900 Just seen a sign. Krabi - that's where young English chap (a student between degrees) was going.

0914 In room. Was sat in reception fiddling with a local SIM I stupidly just bought today instead of three weeks ago and they came over and told me it was ready. Guy carried my bag up so felt obliged to tip him, fortunately had a 20 note in my pocket.

0941 In bed, let's see if I sleep and if I have a foul mood on when alarm goes off...

No comments:

Post a Comment