Tuesday 12 November 2013

Tak, Monday

1553 Wandered down street outside hotel, markety. Bought bunch of green bananas for 15ish (woman took coins out of my hand). They were inedible, all starchy; maybe for cooking. For all I know she tried to tell me. Tried to buy just the one but ended up with bunch. Bought some normal yellow bananas further down road, managed to buy just three for about 10. Gave the woman at the second stall the carrier bag with the green bananas in as I left, if she doesn't want them she can chuck them out but maybe this way they won't be wasted. Come into 7-Eleven for ice cream and a cold drink, not over optimistic on getting hot food unless I eat from a street stall maybe tonight. Let's see anyway.

1754 Whoop-de-fucking-do. Food poisoning here we come. I think I've just eaten raw pork. Paid 319 (335 with tip) for Hot Pot Buffet. I didn't realise you were supposed to put the stuff from the buffet in the boiling pot in the middle of the table, so I took a bite out of a pork-in-green-noodle ball. Waitress come over and stopped me. She was all anxious to offer me a drink but didn't seem concerned about providing me any facilities to spit what was still in my mouth out, had to use my fucking hanky. Maybe it wasn't raw, I don't know. It didn't taste that bad, the bit I had. I filled my plate with fruit a few times and fucked off. Not trusting anything I have to heat up myself and in a bad mood with the place. It's not a huge absolute sum but what a fucking waste of money.

Half tempted to go and stuff myself stupid at the night market because what do I fucking have to lose now, except my stomach contents? But it was only a mouthful and it might be OK and fingers crossed it will develop by 8 tomorrow morning so I can write off the bus ticket and stick on here to be ill for a day or two.

1815 Back at hotel. Bought some crisps and milk at 7-Eleven. Seriously not happy. Was it obvious in hindsight? Not so sure. Of course I wondered what the big pot of boiling water on the table was for, but the idea that it was for throwing the food in doesn't strike me as obvious. I half thought it was a bain marie or platewarmer. Fuck it. Feel ripped off and like maybe I should have stayed to eat there but I deliberately hung on a little bit to have some fruit to get a tiny bit in return for my money and to avoid impulsively paying and walking out, so it wasn't a complete overreaction, and also how the fuck would I know when stuff had been in long enough to be eaten?

Was actually quite cool earlier, I walked up to the nearer of the two bridges to the north, crossed it, walked further up and crossed back on the other one, then back towards hotel/doom. Nice views, felt I was seeing something most tourists don't bother to see, etc. Then this. FFS.

I did dither a bit when they said price was 319 when I went in, but figured I'd get a good feed for it. Bwahahaha, fat fucking chance.

There was a small pizza place on corner, I nearly went there after but it was a bit round-Trafalgar-Square sort of pizza place, not anything 'proper' looking. I also saw the woman behind the counter squeezing some foul looking white sauce all over a pizza as I walked past which completely killed any lingering desire to go in.

1905 OK, booked a hotel in Lampang for Tuesday-Thursday nights. Not in guide book or tripadvisor but probably OK. 1950 for three nights, could be worse.

2021 Oh, I was at Phan Nu House in Mae Sot.

No comments:

Post a Comment