Saturday 16 November 2013

Chiang Mai, Saturday

0102 When I said about the axis through my hips, didn't mean I actively percieved that, just trying to convey the orientation.

1401 Still in bed. Woke up about 11-12 not really feeling that bad but also not wanting to get up. I am going to have to go out and book up for some kind of tour tomorrow which will probably start at 8am, sigh. Also want food.

Woke up at some point in the night drunk and disoriented. I don't think I was sick but I had some horrible idea I was in the wrong hotel or something, as far as I can recall it now. I think I got out of bed and was pacing around the room, but maybe it was all a dream. Oh well.

1415 About to go out. I 'need' to try a massage while I am here, but that can maybe wait til Monday. Let's see what happens. Food first, then maybe go find a tour. Saw a one day excursion to two places 8am-5pm which included elephants while on my walk westward yesterday, may just go for that.

1431 At Le Spice just down road from hotel. Empty but open all day. Chicken madras (non-chicken is hugely more expensive, about double IIRC) with saffron rice and a stuffed naan. Oh, and a diet coke. Not mega cheap but expect it to be about 200.

In a way it's a waste having got up so late but fuck it, I am on holiday.

1520 205, made it 230 and used opportunity to get rid of a bit of change. Don't really want to go but probably should.

1622 Just paid 500 for a half day tour to Doi Suthep (sp), which a read over guide book this afernoon seems to be the main thing round here I am particularly anxious to see. Clearly loads of stuff I could do but I feel a bit short of time. Some evening activities offered bu given I want to see the Loy Krathong stuff I am reluctant to commit myself to anything in evening.

Keep wanting to go to bog, I hope this is just a side-effect of last night's excess.

Deliberately picked morning tour (8-12, pick up at hotel) as it will force me to get up so is a bit like getting an extra half day free. Dithering about going out tonight even before booking for that but may do something low key.

Tour includes some hill tribe thing which I expect to feel is naff, embarassing and takes time away from Doi Suthep but there you go. Can always come back another time if don't have enough time. I could imagine coming back to Chiang Mai at some point in the future, though I think it's likely to be fairly low down my list all the same. However, some subsequent trip around Asia may well find it convenient to return here.

Guidebook says you can get songthaew to Doi Suthep and I feel I could maybe manage that but they go from in front of zoo/university which is 'not even on the map' on the other side of town, so I figured I might as well just go for a paid tour, which will also force me to get up.

1712 At Wat Phra Singh, sheltering under some structure on one side from rain. Been overcast all day and it's raining lightly now. First time I remember it not being sunny here. Still warm (sign on street said 32C) but not too unpleasant with it.

1817 Back at hotel. It wasn't raining that hard so strolled round grounds, guide book pointed out there's some other buildings hidden behind the big one. That was oddly cool, it was sort of dark but pleasant under the trees round the path and not many people.

Oh, inside main building is big printout from Google Maps showing their 'branch' temple (for want of a better term) in Runcorn.

Withdrew some cash and got hair cut (THB100) on way back. Will probably go out in a couple of hours and have a look down by river and maybe have a drink or two, but obviously not too much!

2143 Finally heading out. Plenty of time for Loy Krathong I think but like a fool forgot about getting something to eat and rather suspect will be too late by time gone down to river. Oh well, can't be helped.

2238 At Sila-Aat in night bazaar having paenang pork (medium) and a diet coke. Can hear music from Boy Blues here. Feel a bit miffed that not going out for a beer and some music, but this is an easyish alcohol free day and I do need to be up early. Tried a couple of places nearer hotel but were closed for food.

Went over bridge, much busier than last night, very slow walking due to crowds etc, maybe in part cos it was a bit later. Quite nice but I was getting a bit worried at the number of rockets launched on low trajectories, and a couple of times I thought someone launched one just behind me. Took some photos, don't know how well they'll come out but at least they will be sort of memory triggers. I'm sure there's no shortage of high quality photos on the internet, probably even of tonight here if I look in a month or so.

I bought a krathong (? little boat thing) for THB20 down by the east bank, lit the candle and eventually got down to the edge to launch it. Had to drop it the last few inches but it didn't go out and seemed to stay lit, I filmed it for about 30 seconds. I think that's supposed to be good luck, it staying lit. ;-)

Might do another one tomorrow when I will perhaps manage to be out a bit earlier, but I am glad I did one tonight, this way if it's crazy tomorrow I have participated. Oddly slightly moving thing to do.

Could have bought and launched one elsewhere but I wanted to go down to the river there where I went yesterday and saw I could buy and launch one.

2252 Food pretty good, medium was reasonable portion but still bit hungry so lardy and expensive as it might be, getting a small tom yum squid as well. Wondering if should have had medium, too late now anyway.

This place is a load of tables set out in open air with fairly smart counter with kitchen behind it. A bit like Wasabi at Canary Wharf if it was twice the size and had tables to eat at instead of a huge queue.

Music from Boy Blues is bit more rock-y tonight. Wouldn't have gone there anyway tonight, might go on Monday night as said yesterday. I suppose I am getting to listen to it for free anyway.

2310 Small soup was pretty large. Not bad at all, no indigestible chunks of flavouring material. Squid perhaps a tiny bit chewy but pretty good.

People were launching fire balloons from pavement on bridge and everywhere earlier. I am sure it wouldn't be allowed back home. That didn't bother me, it was just the rockets which had me a bit edgy.

2315 Full moon virtually overhead so put camera flat on table to take some pictures of it. Should get bill and go back, need to sort out daypack for tomorrow and ideally do some laundry (which I was too slack to do earlier).

Loads more people have sat down to eat since I came here.

350 for food, not too bad I suppose and also they are at least open at this time. Had to pay with a 500. Leaving 35 tip, precise or what?

0158 Stupidly late to bed given need to be up by about 0730 but not enormously tired so what can you do? I think the 8h thing is bollocks anyway. At least I'm stone cold sober. Didn't do laundry, will just have to do it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment