Thursday 21 November 2013

Bangkok, Wednesday night

Thu 0610 OK, that was cool. Met Tony at Flann O'Briens, an expat called Kirsty scraped acquaintance with us (as if we were doing her a favour) as they were closing midnight ish, we went to another bar, then on to a semi-illegal all night bar called Wong's which was super 80s esque and cool. Chatted with various people, including Kirsty as we left (she has to work today!), she was super pissed off about the way the Scottish independence vote won't include her and loads of expats who are entitled to vote on Scottish matters generally. I exhibited a slightly restrained form of my Harry Browne-esque philosophy and said (I do believe this) it was shit that the independence vote has (according to her) these weirdly different criteria from regular matters but that as a practical matter the vote would not be for independence so she didn't need to worry and that (she talked about feeling bad calling herself a Scot) she had no responsibility for anything she didn't have any control over.

Was a very cool night, very grateful she took us to that bar and stayed out with us and I spoke to some people including a couple of Mexicans who let me practice my Spanish and in general a super cool night and way better than a shitty night at some ping-pong bar.

Struggling slightly to get a metered cab home but while I am not sober I am relatively so and not in any huge rush.

0620 Fucking hell. It's daylight (one symptom of a great night out) but I've tried about five cabs and not one will take me to Khao San road on the meter. Cheapest price I've been offered is 200. Fuck 'em, it's about 100 on the meter with generous tip (given it's not late night, I was boozing through the night) and I'm hardly desperate.

0623 And another. Fuck me. If I was blatantly drunk (which I'm not, was a boozy night but still) and desperate and it was 2am might be fair enough, but it's daylight and I feel OK and just fucking stop trying to rip me off. Yes I want to go home and have a sleep but I'm not staggering down the street puking.

0626 Aha, on about tenth try have got a cab on meter. I will probably tip generously just because he hasn't tried to fuck me over.

Should say on the ride over to Sala Daeng in cab last night, probably inspired by some ad, felt I should have had Iggy Pop's "The Passenger" playing, it was oddly cool to be driving through Bangkok in a cab.

0635 Well, fuck that. Without any obvious intention to fuck me over cab driver pulled over and seemed confused about where to go, repeated mentions of Khao San Road do no good, nor does showing him the (pure Latin) sheet of hotel notepaper I had the precaucion to bring out. Meter was 5x, paid him 70. Fuck me, when I am in Latin America I need to be careful not to get over-confident. Felt slightly queasy in cab but by no means showing signs of puking. Sigh.

Taxi driver at stand here doesn't know Khao San road. I mean, it's only backpacker central, like two out of three farangs here want to go there. Fuck me. I am not pissed but bed would be nice, I've been up all night.

As I was writing that a cab pulled up by me. He said Banglhampu when I said Khao San road, then pulled funny face when I said on the meter, so I said no thanks. Fuck me, I'm not that drunk.

0820 OK, fuck you cab drivers and linguistic difficulties. I am on Khao San road having fucking walked over here via slightly shitty GPS. The KFC on the corner is closed, I know it's early - yeah, I know how to party, Bangkok ;-) - but all the way over here I have been promising myself some kind of family chicken feast and leave what I don't want.

0823 Of course there is no sign giving the opening hours. I am/was tempted to go to the 24h Burger King at west end of street, but it doesn't have the lardy satisfaction of KFC, plus it introduces huge linguistic doubts about the concept of a 'plain hamburger'. FFS, would it kill them to show their opening hours? If they open at 9 I might hang on, if they only open at 6pm that is another matter.

0838 OK, getting (I hope) plain hamburger and large fries at Burger King, going home to sleep then if still feel same on waking going to trek out and try KFC on return. Hands feel dirty and sweaty but will eat hamburger and fries with them. Not happy about KFC, FFS just show opening hours and then who am I to complain.

0908 Had fucking shower etc really didn't want, bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment