Monday 4 November 2013

Lopburi-Phitsanulok

1006 At station. Train is showing as 10 minutes late on the board, which is OK I guess. Might pop over and get a snack at 7-Eleven under circumstances. Hmm, no, I won't, have peanuts and may get food on train and not actually that hungry right now.

No response to e-mail to hotel, but continue unsurprised.

Hmm, electronic clock on departure screen says it's 1022, but the analogue clock on wall underneath says 1008ish, which I think is right.

Woke up about 7am or something feeling bit jittery re bedbugs. Basically no sign yet of having been bitten and no sightings of any actual insects except that one random beetle thing last night which probably wasn't one; there were a couple of spots of blood on pillow but they are almost certainly where a shaving cut reopened. If it hadn't been those reviews putting the wind up me I'd not have thought about it. Drifted back to sleep, woke up to alarm at 9, snoozed on it to about 930 which was a bit stupid but I knew the station was only a few minutes walk away, and I did make it here on time.

Oh, left nostril enormously bunged up on waking. Still not sure if this is a cold or hayfever, though leaning towards hayfever at moment. Have taken another of the tablets bought yesterday. Nose still running a bit. Wanted to use bog at hostel before leaving but my body wouldn't cooperate; if you don't want to go what can you do? I expect to feel a desperate urge as soon as I get on the train.

Now have left will say I was at Noom guesthouse (in Lotus room).

Feeling OKish, mentally and physically. Would be a bit more relaxed if I had been able to reserve accommodation in Phitsanulok in advance. Strictly speaking I could of course, except I wasn't sure how good the location of those cheap places on booking.com was; they were on opposite side of river to those shown in map in guide book.

American woman in courtyard as I left, I said hello (first time I'd spoken to her). She didn't look as super young as I thought yesterday (by implication she is about 60+) but still relatively good for her age.

I was really drowsy on the train from Bangkok to here, wonder if I will be same on this.

This train is a 'special express diesel railcar', like the one I came in on. I think it's all second class (air conditioning, seats not bunks). I have seen trains with third class, they don't look massively delapidated or anything, but the windows are all open as there's no air conditioning. I think first class is air conditoned bunks, but not sure.

A third class train has just pulled in. Bit worried it is blocking cross-track access to mine when it comes in. Anyway, that is the 40 minute delayed 0944 Bangkok-Sila At, so presumably it will go shortly - I somehow got the idea in my head it was not shown on the board and so might be terminating here.

Hmm, the 0919 (Taphan Hin-Bangkok) is delayed to 10:39, same time as my train. It is an ordinary service (so probably third class) so shouldn't get confused as to which to get on, but hope there's no problem with it blocking access to my train. I don't think there is a footbridge, you just walk across the tracks. Given all these other big delays, maybe my train will be delayed more than 10 minutes anyway.

Must say despite what guidebook says (from memory) about Thais dressing conservatively, an awful lot of women here seem to wear short shorts or short skirts. I am not complaining.

1028 Playing it safe, have come out to stand on the island between platforms 1 and 2 so although I no longer have departure board to look at I can access both platforms directly. I suspect it's the platform nearest the main body of the station anyway.

1032 Someone rings a bell whenever a train comes through. Bell just got run for two of those little carts hooked together (with a little engine on one of them) with some people on spraying water (insecticide?) on the track.

1040 Since the Bangkok train just came in on platform 2 I've crossed back to platform 1 side, fearing there might not be steps on both sides of the train. Sure there are but still, why take chances and it's not as if I'm worried about there being two trains in at once now. Have checked board and mine is now showing 15 mins late. This is riveting stuff eh?

Keep sneezing. Not conclusive but definitely leaning towards hayfever.

Weather is warm, was quite pleasant in shade as I left hostel but pretty full on in direct sun. It is possibly cooler than it has been; as always, when not actually exerting myself it's on the borderline between pleasantly warm and tolerable.

While looking at hotels last night someone did comment on their review they prefer fan rooms to a/c rooms as you acclimatise faster. No idea if that is true or not.

Keep forgetting to close the combination locks on my bag (I mean close the hasp or whatever it's called so the lock is securely attached to the bag, whether not they they are holding the zips together.). Amazingly they haven't yet fallen off and been lost as I move the bag, but only a matter of time.

1050 It's now 20 minutes late. This takes me back to being a student, travelling cross-country to and from home, where the delays on the train boards exhibited the same behaviour. I'm obviously not in that much of a rush and not that bothered, but I do want to get on the train and I do want to get there reasonably on time so I can sort accommodation out. Think it might be coming in now.

1055 Yep, I'm on it and we're just leaving. Train was announced in English, unlike the earlier one. Bloke checked my ticket on the platform as I was waiting for it to come in. Window seat, currently have double to myself but have put bag in overhead rack anyway. Air conditioning feels a bit too cold but that's probably only because I've been hanging around at the station in the warm for so long.

1120 Been given food, exactly same as on previous train. Somewhat lukewarm but OK. Am drinking the water this time. ;-)

Temples and Buddha statues visible by side of track occasionally. I suppose this is no more odd than seeing a church in England, but of course it doesn't strike me that way.

1152 I give in, got bag down from rack and put my jacket on. The a/c is just too fierce (I am just wearing a short-sleeved T-shirt).

1358 Felt a bit shivery and slightly crap on train. Now at hotel in Phitsanulok; found it no trouble, no trouble getting a room, have single a/c room en suite for three nights at 400/night, which is very good. Room a little sterile (all very hospital-esque white tiles/sheets) but very clean. Breakfast included if I somehow manage to get up in time, although I didn't ask what time it is on til.

Was bit worried about missing stop but the guard sort of announced it and quite a few people seemed to be getting off and I stayed in my seat until I'd had a chance to see the station name. GPS obviously completely not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment