Saturday 3 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Friday night

2048 Here. Way too early. About four people here not counting me and staff. Sat at table near bar as a temporary measure. Feel bit conspicuous but of course no one really gives a shit. Quite a lot of people on streets on way over, but except for that 'at home and about to go out' feeling I didn't seriously expect any problem on way out.

Got litre of Gallo for Q30. No tip as went to bar myself.

Was a band on but they've stopped now, whether they'll be back on or someone else don't know.

No bouncer so I was able to bring my lucky concrete lump in with me. :-)

2233 Band (think same) came back on, on break now. "Mysterious Girl" playing now, hate this song. Band not bad. Most of audience seems local, far from crowded. They did a cover/improvised version of "Las Mananitas" to  tune of "Another Brick In The Wall (part 2)". I half get the joke, though my lack of familiarity with Las Mananitas and Spanish in general stopped me fully getting it. A woman who had been filming everything did tell me it was "very funny" in English, oddly disconcerting me.

0000 Band finished few minutes ago. Did very nice cover of Lamento Boliviano. Some guy from audience joined them to rap in didn't-understand-fully-but-anti-capitalist rap. Got third litre which is maybe stupid if no more music but since alcohol softens experiences and by all accounts resisting mugging is a bad idea, unless this makes me so drunk I'm a more attractive target it can"t hurt. "Take My Breath Away" playing. Audience hovers in very low double digits; either it was different last Sat when I passed en route to hotel or Sat v different. 2 young I guess American women, otherwise audience looks local. Will stop writing this a bit but frankly doubt my chances of getting into a chat; such a small audience feels cliquey and who wants to chat to a random middle aged male foreigner with bad Spanish? But hope springs eternal and strange things have happened before...

0518 Just got home. I guess that worked out better than expected. Walking home not so scary a) after n beers b) so late at night any sane robber has fucked off home with this post-closing time take. Not sure if will be up in time to go up Cerro de Baul but fingers crossed.

Had drunk but entertaining philosphical discussion. I just hope I don't feel a total twat tomorrow. At least I never claimed to be smart...

No comments:

Post a Comment