Wednesday 21 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Tuesday

2235 Just got home from Katiyah (sp)'s birthday drinks (she was 27) at King & Queen. We were in theory there for pub quiz but it didn't happen; perhaps for the best, a tolerably matey night. Was slightly tempted to go somewhere else for a solo beer when we left, but I decided given numerous opportunities to drink recently and probably Thanksgiving drinks (I won't go to dinner) on Thursday with probably midnight-ish finish then and the general 8am start I wouldn't. Feel mildly pissed now, due to sharing pitchers not entirely sure how much I drank but not loads.

Didn't want to get up (cold, bit tired) as usual but did and school OK, actually quite good chat with teacher. Went to supermarket with him nearby and nearby street market to buy stuff to cook at home - was bit time constrained due to language exchange at 3. Cooked, ate - decent portion of course, frankly I feel a bit snacky right now but trying to be semi-healthy in week and "luckily" have nothing in house to eat - went to conversation class. There about two hours, conversation perhaps a smidge repetitive and/or a bit Englishy but not bad, there is an informal one at La Luna tomorrow at 3 which will probably go to.

Have done homework before went out, but massively behind with typing new vocab in Vocabletrainer app let along learning it. Tis OK.

Not done anything about booking trips (except CdB on Sun) yet or extending stay at this flat. May just possibly pop into Quetzaltrekker tomorrow between class and lang exchange; I will probably eat in a comedor tomorrow for variety.

2244 Having had a brief squint at calendar and realising (not that it's a big deal) I fly on 17th Dec not 18th, I am provisionally thinking stay here rest of this week and next week. If teacher is right the 3 day hike to Lake Atitlan only leaves on Sat; if so I would leave for that a week on Sat, meaning I only have this Sat free (Sun being CdB) to do stuff here, but that's OK, especially if I could do lake Chicabal. If 3 day hike can leave other days might stay here next weekend and then leave on 3 day hike after. Anyway, that gives me 2 weeks-ish left; time to spend a few nights in Pana or elsewhere on Lake Atitlan and do some hiking (if I want; perhaps not given other hiking am doing) and/or paragliding, then a few nights in Antigua and do Acatenango, and I have a few days in hand on this schedule for relaxing and/or other activities in these places and/or a few days in GC at end. This is not a formal plan at this point, just some rough thoughts.

I need to extend accommodation *but* I need to be careful as I may want to leave a week Sat (early) so can't be extending accom here til Sun, *plus* given I suspect there may be cleaning/handing over keys issues I don't want to assume I can check out of here at eg 6am Sat and head off on hike, so I may want to extend only til say Thu or Fri and spend last night or two in a ho(s)tel. I guess I need to speak to teacher tomorrow since he had mentioned some possibility of a friend of his taking me (ideally not alone) on 3 day hike and if he hasn't any info I need to go to QT tomorrow after class to inquire into 3 day hike and then I can make plans and extend accommodation tomorrow night.

Sounds like a vague plan.

Some suggestion (inconsistent) that Chile (the country) should be pronounced like English "Chill" tonight. Not sure if in Spanish or English or both. Bit dubious but have made not and will do some web searching on this tomorrow or whenever. Or I'll just ask people when I'm there. :-)

Not exactly tired but I should move towards bed.

2302 Bed. Realised I have a packet of peanuts but since a) I have immense self-control b) I just cleaned my teeth and don't want to redo that c) they are semi-deliberately slightly boring unsalted ones, I will be strong and not touch them.


No comments:

Post a Comment