Tuesday 13 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Monday

2354 About to go to bed. Pissed away evening reading shit. Quick entry.

School OK, though went for a walk with teacher and he offered me private classes at Q75 an hour, and also made an offer of some tour this weekend. Was non-commital. No idea what will do return hikes etc this weekend.

Invited to go to Terminal market with some other students this afternoon. Quite fun, we took the minibuses which was a worthwhile experience. Mildly shocked at how amiable some of the stallholders were with one of students just asking them stuff about their merchandise without any major intention to buy.

Teacher encouraged me to just try talking to people, eg asking the time or even going into a shop and pretending I want to buy a shirt then deciding not to. I think the latter would definitely be a bit immoral (not *very*, but I'd feel out of order doing it) but I do perhaps need to think about this sort of thing. He also seemed to think I could do some little trips in the afternoon on my own. And encouraged me to try cooking in flat, we went to supermarket (a bit unnecessarily) and he told me a bit about how the buses work. I may try buying some rice and small sachets of spices and some vegetables and tuna (some from the street vendors for linguistic practice) and cooking a bit like I would at home one day, maybe Wed.

I feel peculiarly fed up for no really clear reason. Anyway, bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment