Thursday 1 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Wednesday

1307 At PdlJ for grilled chicken. Class not bad, teacher gave me a couple of old Condorito comics to look at. Need to be at school tomorrow at 630 which is better than I expected, Q120 for transport. Spoke a bit with Irish woman met last week and teacher spoke with yesterday (now know his name!) during break.

Plan for this afternoon is to go to supermarket and maybe get some snacks for tomorrow - my teacher says food there is not necessarily hygienic, though something well cooked like fried chicken prob OK, but director woman said to bring food and water so don't know. If I can get some sliced ham may also indulge myself in some sandwiches at flat this evening.

May go for a walk this afternoon on general exercise grounds but if I get enough walking in with the trip to/from school and to supermarket may not.

Teacher says cemetery is dangerous in general (people go there to use drugs and will rob you; I assuming we're not talking marijuana here but who knows) but it's OK this time of year close to day of dead as it's very busy, so I got lucky. (*Maybe* had there been few people around I wouldn't have gone in, eg remembering the Antigua advice in guide book, but who knows?) He says the flower market outside is there all year round.

Was few mins late to school today due to pushing it in bed. Woke up - as think did yesterday - about 645 without alarm, but went back to sleep and felt tired when alarms went off 0725ish.

1720 I asked my teacher about the typical glass size for draught beer. He thought it was a pint - which seemed wrong, until I remembered the US pint is smaller than the UK pint. Wikipedia says the US liquid pint is about 473ml, which is astoundingly close (obviously an element of luck) to my estimate last night, so I think that's probably what it is.

2253 Bed. Quietish afternoon/evening in. Went to supermarket and bought some turkey ham (couldn't see any pork ham) and some bread and coke zero and bananas and apples and gorged myself a bit this afternoon despite having meal at PdlJ. Not too big a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment