Friday 30 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Thursday

1626 At Sabor de la India. As recommended by guidebook, ordering a thali (lamb) and on my own advice getting a litre of Cabro. This will weigh in at 70+35 plus tip but tis OK, it's an experience. I am only person here, which is absolutely fine by me.

Sort of packed (a carrier bag with to-be-shipped items and a pile of to-take-with-me stuff next to it on bed) and cleaned flat, done a tolerable job I think considering no vacuum cleaner and difficult to get all hairs (most of them too long to be mine) up but probably OK.

Have arranged to meet owner at 1330 tomorrow to hand over keys. This means can have classes 8-1 again and still prob have time to move over to Casa Argentina before language exchange. Rather not be but I can also turn up a bit late at lang exchange if necessary since it's not as if anyone is waiting specifically for me.

Class OK, I paid the teacher 125 at end and also paid for his tea (admittedly only one) and I had three cups of coffee at Q10 each (cafe bill was Q40.70 but ended up making it Q46 with tip). TBH this isn't much cheaper for me than the slightly sub-200ish I would pay via school, but I am guessing he is better off even charging me only Q25 an hour compared to what the school pays him out of their charge. Am thinking tomorrow I will give him Q300 including the Q125 he has explicitly earned; this is "only" a Q175 tip but it's a nice round number and I am buying his drinks. Depends how I feel, I just might shove an extra 20 on depending on change at hand etc.

Teacher is apparently part of a documentary he made over three years with some students of his, it's called (from memory) "San Martin: Santo o Diablo" but as I write that I am very unsure I've remembered the name (second word) right. Have it written down back at flat. Apparently teacher had spent many years travelling round researching this and planned to write a book but ended up making this documentary.

Did vaguely wonder if should invite teacher over here for dinner or whatever (he told me some students have done this when discussing tips a couple of weeks ago) but I'm not doing that *and* tipping him, and given his apparent financial situation and Christmas coming I'm sure he'd rather have the cash than an unnecessarily expensive meal.

1653 That was, I must say pretty good. I would have liked more rice - there was just a smallish bit in middle of circular dish with four compartments round edge - but perhaps that's how a thali is, not sure have had one before. Didn't look like that much food but I do feel pleasantly full. Got plenty of beer left and not hurrying off. A (presumably local) family have come in now and sat at nearby table.

No idea whether Keralan (which IIRC guide book this probably is) food is meant to be generally spicy but this was pleasantly but very comfortably spicy, definitely nothing extreme.

1746 Nearly finished beer. Feel surprisingly pissed but not a big deal. Not reeling drunk - it's a litre, FFS - but more than I'd expect for a leisurely litre with food.

1756 Got my Q80 change entirely in fives but not really a problem. Of course if I hadn't been stashing small bills ready for trip anyway this wouldn't have happened.

2021 Mildly odd. Popped into La Liga and caught tail end of a perhaps informal gig by Julio (singer of band met back at Trova Rock) and another guy, Julio (assuming I have his name right) exchanged a few sentences with me as they left.

Why am I here? Well Sean got in touch to say there was a "thing" (my term) at school at 8, perhaps a dance. I said yes, on way over started to doubt this and indeed when I got there director and a chap who was perhaps instructor were at door and (kudos) director invited me in without any fuss even though I left yday but they said it was a dance class and I dithered and said I'd give it a miss, but thanks for offering to let me in. Bumped in Sean and Jolene a few metres up street as I was leaving, they said it was a new dance so no one knew it and do it for the craic etc but having already said no at the door perhaps out of foolish consistency (with my statement of a few seconds ago at door, and also with fact I had avoided these classes all time was at school) said I'd give it a miss. Bit of a shame but not a big deal.

The impromptu dance class at Atitlan the other weekend was semi-fun and semi-stressful because I don't feel I "get" it quickly and it doesn't feel fair/comfortable on my partner. I did it in part just to join in and in part due to there being an odd woman if I hadn't that time at lake. I don't *like* being crap at something, but I can handle it; what gets borderline intolerable is being crap at a non-solo activity.

Anyway, with a pseudo-logic I decided having come out I'd come and have a couple here instead of going straight home. And then I saw the band on (now gone, as I say).

Moderately busy so sitting at bar but not desperately looking to chat.

Need to be careful not to slip over when get back as floor is still wet from earlier and even wearing my shoes I have nearly gone over once or twice earlier.

2104 Having second (US) probably pint, then go home. Sweating like a bastard in my fleece, no idea why.

2116 Nearly finished. Beers were Q10 each, will leave Q5 on bar and go. Feel OK but too hot and slightly meh.

2122 Home. I went up on roof terrace to take some night photos and have a bit of a look earlier (1915ish) BTW. Pleasantly cool outside on v brief walk home after hot bar.

2143 Bed. Not exactly tired but seems no reason to stay up.

No comments:

Post a Comment