Wednesday 28 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Tuesday

2346 Quickish entry before bed.

School OK, nothing overly special to say. English thing at XelaAid was on so said I'd do that. Went for lunch at Restaurante y Comida Tipica "Calle Real" (recommended by teacher), pretty decent, I got them to break a Q100 despite their sign saying to give them change - I needed change for buses to XelaAid and am also stashing small bills to avoid problems/getting ripped off on hike to Atitlan.

Went into Xelapan after and bought couple of sweetish cakey bread things - went home and had 10 mins to eat v nice IIRC chocolatey-cinnamony rock like thing (had one yday too) whose name escapes me but may be vaguely "roca". Dropped bag off too. Met group for XA at corner 16 and 1 and all OK generally. Different students again but went fairly well I think.

Minibus back v cramped, indeed at several points I had a seat (solo, near door) but was completely surrounded by standing people yet oddly my "claustrophobia" feelings didn't kick in. Maybe being near door helped. Maybe I am just inconsistent about it. Maybe because it sort of came on gradually-ish it was OK. Dunno.

Cooked gutbusting rice and tuna again tonight, had other bread thing from earlier, wasted most of night (tho it was prob 8pm ish by time had cooked and eaten, if not later) reading book on phone but did do homework if perhaps a trifle hastily. Feeling a bit "busy" with eg probably lang exchange tomorrow and school etc but not necessarily a bad thing. Vaguely suspect will be some kind of drinks (albeit perhaps a bit salsa-y) tomorrow night with people from school. Sort of hope so as I probably need Thu afternoon/evening to clean up flat and pack (dividing stuff up appropriately) and I'd rather be out Wed than Thu.

Not feeling down or anything but not super satisfied either; I am feeling in a transitional sort of state and it's a little unsatisfactory.

This isn't the best blog entry ever but at least I've written something so could be worse.

Oh, teacher says Antigua may be busy just before Xmas so I should prob make reservations for accommodation (and indeed Acatenango hike, I'd guess) relatively soon - probably will do once I arrive in San Pedro.

And looking at Google Maps while starring San Pedro hotel just now, I am reminded if I didn't already say it that while visiting lake towns I kept falling into the mental illusion that I was on an island, when of course I wasn't. I guess it's the popping around between places on boats which gives a kind of island-hopping feeling (even though AFAICR I have never actually visited anywhere like that).

No comments:

Post a Comment