Thursday 15 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Wednesday

1814 School OK though a coldish wind and my teacher and I were the only people on the terrace, and we moved to a more sheltered spot.

Some students are going to one of the towns on Lake Atitlan at the weekend; I originally said I couldn't go as they are leaving Friday after school and I have signed up for that English thing on Friday, but plan now is that I will go over and join them on Saturday. In theory I need to get a public bus over there but fingers crossed it will be OK.

Also going out to meet a somewhat overlapping group of students at 730 at Bajo La Luna; they will be going on to a dance class afterwards and I won't, so it won't be a late night but I have done my homework already, except that I may add a paragraph to the daily "diary" I need to write when I get home.

I withdrew some cash after school - tried to take Q2500 from 5B to reduce fee as percentage but max is Q2000 - then came home, booked accommodation for Saturday night and wallked over to El Terminal to buy some spices and mixed chopped vegetables to cook with. Wasn't hard but still felt pleased with myself for doing it. Cooked when got home and it was quite successful on the whole. Also been gorging on ham sandwiches before school and since eating the food I cooked after yesterday's abstemiousness.

Just had a shower, not ideal but I am not showering after a beer as waffled before.

I asked school director while paying (part of) the next week's fees if they ever do any hikes, and he said a week Saturday they would probably be doing Lake Chicabal. I will wait and see and not raise it with my teacher yet then. He also said radio had said this morning access to volcanoes (I am a bit fuzzy on details and not looked it up myself as it's not immediately relevant) was restricted due to either geological evidence or an eruption somewhere. He thought this would be only for a day or two, so given the earliest I am probably looking at a hike via Adrenalina Tours or similar is 2.5 weeks away (1.5 if I am foolish enough - unlikely - to book for next Sunday after a school trip on Saturday), it's probably not a big deal. I also asked him about the weather, not sure how much he may know or if he's telling me what I want to hear, but I think it will get colder but it won't be a problem until after Christmas.

2357 Home. Bit edgy about walking back but no problems. Bari pumping out music as passes.

Met students at Bajo La Luna, we had a long chat with barman Josue when paying, he explained the way addresses work here which was super useful, except the address of this flat doesn't quite make sense. Meh. Some went on to Pool&Beer for salsa, I went with some others to Kasa Kiwi - v cool terrace bar, though a bit cold and stops serving at 10 - then we went on to Pool&Beer as we got wristbands for a free drink at KK. Left there maybe 20 mins ago with two students of those I arrived with, others had drifted off though the Tony-esque student I mentioned other day had turned up maybe 10 mins before we left and was dancing. Tempting to stay out but I think we all saw the 8am start looming, and I have had not quite (I left a bit of one) 2 litres of Gallo/Cabro and the free coke+Quetzalteca (I think) at Pool&Beer. Towards end of time at P&B they switched from salsa-esque to hip-hop esque and some people did some pretty decent breakdancing stuff on the small dance floor. Felt a bit like being back in 90s, as presented on TV.

I also took the initiative to go chat (in Spanish) with a guy who turned out to be a German semi-ex-pat electrician while his gf and my two student acquaintances were dancing. FFS I have to do better at remembering people's names. I feel everyone struggles and I can kind of get away with asking second time I meet them but so clearly would be better to actually just remember.

Wrt addresses problem is the "yards" part of this place is 93 yards from avenida 16, and it feels like way more than 93 yards from there - I just walked it. Maybe I'm just bad at judging distance.

Bit worried about getting up in morning but this has been a bit more restrained than that night first week here at El Shamrock so prob be fine. Gonna drink lots of water and gorge on more ham sandwiches before bed.

0037 Bed. Not that tired and don't feel that drunk, getting up in 7 hours will feel crap but TBH it usually does anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment