Saturday 10 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Friday

1315 At some barbecuey place near school, teacher pointed it out to me though had seen it before. Feel massively awkward having just tried to order something without any sauce (teacher also encouraged me to do this; speaking generally I guess I shouldn't give a shit if anyone thinks this is weird, to be fair my usual reason for just steering clear if in doubt even in the UK is that I expect the staff to just not bother even when they understand me, but what the hell) but I suppose it's all practice. Slightly awkward conversation with (mostly different to yesterday) students over the break. I don't *think* the 'conferencia' at 4pm is happening; school director asked us as a group 'any activities?' and no one said anything so I didn't either, and I think my teacher would be the one giving it and he didn't mention so I will assume it's not happening. It would have been on Mayan calendar, OK but I am not too bothered about it and it will probably be repeated another week.

Got a tiky piƱa carbonated soft drink; I didn't recognise anything the waitress reeled off so I asked what was cheapest. Still struggled as I didn't know 'tiky' was a brand.

1342 Putting aside the social and linguistic hassles of ordering, food was pretty good. Just hope it's not going to be too pricey. Talked with teacher about tipping (I will evidently have to tip him when I leave) and I think I should just be giving a Q5 tip on 20-30 bills not my current minimum of 10. I asked and he said I don't need to carry on tipping 10 in places where that has been my custom, they wouldn't wonder why I'd suddenly cut the tip, but I probably will for the sake of consistency. It might also be a good idea to give a smallish tip in the tip jar even if I am being served at the bar instead of having table service, but I don't think this is absolutely essential. Meh.

Teacher said El Cuartito will have live music tonight; I may go there tonight or tomorrow, though Google Maps says they shut at midnight tonight which is perhaps not ideal and perhaps a good thing. Will just go home and gorge on remaining 2 hot dogs and read etc this afternoon until I go out about 8:45-9ish - judging from last week I don't want to be going out too early. Will stay away from Trova Rock for now.

1350 Waitress came over to ask if she could clear the table, considering I was the only customer I felt a bit shoved out but not the end of the world. Bill 25, I paid that exactly and shoved a 5 note under the empty pop bottle and scarpered. Feels shit having to scarper like this but there you go.

2046 Been hanging around flat, feel a bit tired but will head out to Salon Tecun, what happens happens. Will send this now just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment