Saturday 10 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Friday night

2107 Standing at bar in Salon Tecun as can't get a seat. Pissed off because I ordered litre of Gallo, waitress carried it round the other side of the bar. I hadn't seen a menu but expected it to be 30ish. Handed over 40, band is playing, waitress makes some sort of handwaving gesture and I can't hear a thing and I nod and I guess she's decided that means "keep the change" . Not quite so peeved if it turns out it's 35 a litre, maybe it's 40 here anyway, can't remember last time. Might go sit outside actually. Won't be able to hear music but f it. Can't get chat in here of course with music and can come in later.

Nope, the little table I saw outside is now full, shouldn"t have hung around. Really awkwardly wedged in at end of bar, standing, in front of load of bottles and a face recognition gadget. This bites TBH. Was a big table outside free but busy enough don't feel I should sit there.

OK, since can't enjoy music checked old blog entry, litre of Cabro is 41 so fuck knows, maybe I *underpaid*. Feel awkward now OTOH she could have fucking asked for extra; I hardly refused, not sure she even spoke to me. Fuck knows. May well piss off from here after this litre - though need to be careful not to neck it - and just have another at some no music bar and fuck off home.

0415 Just got hone. Fate is a funny bastard. I had deliberately avoided Trova Rock out of embarassment at what might have happened last week. The chap sitting alone at the bar spoke to me and we kind of hit it off. Simultaneously it turned out the suspiciously familiar band were in fact the same guys I met last Friday at Trova Rock. In a convoluted social dance the guy at the bar left about 11, the guys from the band invited me over to the Shamrock - although I was apparently a miserable git last Friday they didn't hold it against me - and then we went on to an after-hours bar where I briefly re-met the guy sitting at the bar at Salon Tecun. Was very amicable in the after-hours bar and I am meeting a guy I met there - not of the band and friends - at 8 at Salon Tecun tomorrow. I do feel *slightly* like a drink dispenser, but on the whole people have been very amiable. The whole thing does feel strange but not in a bad way. Anyway, bed. I did hopefully manage to learn most people's names tonight - not saying I would trust myself to recognise them - and reassuringly even though I'm the obvious foreigner and they only met one that night, most of them remembered me but not my name either.

Walked home doing my best to broadcast confidence and also helps that I assume most muggers knock off about 0130. No problems on the way home anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment