Monday 5 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Sunday

1251 Woke up (no alarms today) about 9, went back to sleep and woke up again 12ish, been up maybe half hour. Not exactly optimistic/keen but plan is to try Cerro del Baul again.

I note the LCD screen on my camera has developed a fault - a permanently black line across top of screen with a thicker black bit at one end. Assuming, as is presumably the case, only the screen is affected this is not the end of the world if it doesn't get worse, but it's annoying. I have not TTBOMK done anything to cause this - I leave it at home when I go out at night, and I don't recall having dropped it. I think it was fine the other day but maybe I just didn't notice.

1819 Failed to ascend CdB again. I walked over on Calle 5, which turns into a snaking road up. I got a modest distance along, there were a few people about and a few dogs but it was OK. A police pickup also went past me coming down, which was moderately encouraging. Then some chap walking his dog came down towards me and that set off a group of about three strays - presumably they didn't like this strange dog - and there was a certain amount of growling and scuffling. The dog walker came down past me and I sort of looked at the stray dogs and decided after a minute's thought that I just didn't feel comfortable going on any further. This feels a bit weak but I don't know. Anyway, that's what happened. At least I got a fair old walk in for exercise.

I walked back towards flat and detoured up towards Little Caesars to see if I could get a takeaway pizza. I didn't understand everything the guy at the counter said to me but I managed to order an Ultimate Supreme pizza for Q65, turning down the offer of the combo, and it was ready almost immediately (presumably due to their hot & ready 'promotion'). Brought it back home, initially a bit suspicious it had bechamel sauce on but it probably didn't, and I rather enjoyed it. Still have a couple of slices in fridge for later. Used the little oven in flat to heat it up, I hope I can clean it off OK with the limited facilities to hand, as I had no baking tray or tinfoil to use to protect the oven from any drips etc.

Feel a bit lazy and disinclined to do homework. Been reading on phone. Feel slightly lonely and disconnected and like I'm not doing very "well" at this tourist business, but not really feeling so bad.

2333 Just moving towards bed. Did homework, which felt a bit of a chore, but meh. Perhaps just Sunday afternoon/evening blues, even though it's not as if I'm back at work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment