Thursday 29 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Wednesday

1529 At La Luna, doesn't look like anyone else is turning up, will go when finished coffee.

School OK, got a diploma which while having no real value as such is maybe a nice souvenir. Turned down opportunity to have it presented to me in the break! Not seen anyone else take this up either...

Forgot to say yesterday that I accidentally had bought a tin of sweetcorn with no ring pull and had no tin opener. I managed to get it sufficiently open using a penknife thing found in kitchen drawer to (just) shake the individual kernels out. What may be a world first in foolish tin opening incidents is that - brace yourself - I did this without drawing blood! I fear I have burned up a month's luck ration in that one event.

School drinks etc tonight, bit salsa-oriented but tis OK. They are starting with happy hour at some hotel at 5:45 but I will join them at Bajo La Luna at 7.

Huge number of ppl from school seem to be doing Atitlan trek with QT a week on Saturday. Mixed blessing, might have been nice to know most of group already but OTOH perhaps good to meet new people.

Meeting teacher at 8 tomorrow morning at La Cafetera; won't mention this to any other students in case they accidentally mention it in presence of anyone at school who might get upset by our private arrangement.

Went to Xelapan early and got two of those rock things - they are "piedras", hence my mental hash table collision - and two other bready things. Ate those (except one piedra) as snack while back at flat before coming over here. Also did some laundry because I am trying to minimise wetness of clothes before need to move on Fri and the trek. I have five " changes" of clothes (not trousers, but that's different) so I need to be careful so have Fri-Mon inclusive all with clean clothes without needing to wash any. Ideally I'd have Fri-Tue and would perhaps do some minor re-wearing of clothes when it doesn't matter, but we'll see how it goes.

When go home - be it shortly or 5ish if anyone turns up, unlikely as that is (not complaining, I did sort of chance it) - will do homework and cook gutbusting rice dish. Won't cook after tonight, plan is to clean flat tomorrow and go out for lunch/dinner on Thu, one of those meals probably at Sabor de la India.

Tried to withdraw some cash on Barclaycard at a few places in hope (following conversation with another student) of not getting stung with a fee, but so far everything is *worse* than using my Starling debit card at 5B - even at 5B the Barclaycard is worse.

If do leave here shortly may try some of the banks round La Democracia instead of going straight home.

1545 Let's go.

1623 Home via La Democracia banks. No joy. Rough summary from memory: withdrawing Q2000 on my Barclaycard (Visa), 5B and BAC want to charge Q39 (if that's wrong for 5B, it's still more than the Q31 they charge on my Starling card) and BI want to charge USD4 (which is *roughly* Q31, but TBH if I'm withdrawing quetzales (and on a UK card too) WTF show me the fee in USD instead of Q?). Banrural don't seem to have cash machines and/or seem to have 5B machines.

It may be the "free" withdrawals that other student mentioned (he just said "the red one" , didn't know name of bank) only works on Mastercard. (He has Halifax Clarity card.) My Starling card is probably Mastercard but it's a debit card and as waffled at length in Antigua on arrival, a lot of machines don't seem to like it at all, regardless of what fee they might like to charge. Guide book does say something about credit cards generally working better than debit.

Yes, Starling is Mastercard anyway. And looking on web Halifax Clarity is Mastercard, so while it may be there is no free option, this does at least mean my speculation *might* be cause. I didn't bring my HC because it's not interest free on cash wd, you have to go and explicitly pay the balance off ASAP. If it did mean I could get fee-free wd it would be worth paying the few pence interest, but anyway, I didn't bring mine.

Q31.20 or whatever on a Q2000 wd at 5B (with no fees from Starling) is not great but - as is obvious, since I have been tolerating it - it is tolerable.

Going to have a shower now while it's daylight and sunny.

2144 Just got home.

Called parents about 1715 as matter of routine and they told me our little black cat had died, Mum found her this morning. Bit upset.

Nothing to do with that, I cooked and did homework and was racing the clock a bit as wanted to be at Bajo La Luna for 7 but in the end I didn't get there til 745ish. With the three bread things (one pretty large) at lunch and a big portion of rice+stuff I was feeling almost sick after eating.

Had not quite a litre of Cabro at BLL while others ate. We were going to go to Pool & Beer at 930ish (original plan was to be there at 9) but it was raining - TBH not that hard in my opinion, though a lot of water in street meaning cars could splash us as we walked - and we more-or-less unanimously decided to go home. *Slightly* disappointed as my last night (sort of) but also given even now I feel uncomfortably full I'm not too bothered about coming home. Sean connected with me on whatsapp so just may end up seeing him/others Thu/Fri night (obviously taking it easy if Fri night, especially if risk of getting back lateish at CA and dog having a go), if not no harm done. Always a slim chance I will still be round Atitlan next Mon/Tue when a lot of those guys arrive on the 3 day hike as well. See what happens.

Yawning a bit. Might as well clean teeth and go to bed. I have the few bits of uw washed earlier on clothesline on balcony but rain doesn't seem to be reaching them and will leave them out.

Let me just e-mail owner to see if can set up meeting for Fri to hand over keys.

2220 He replied v quickly and is willing to meet me at 1 or 2pm despite official checkout being 12. Won't reply until spoken to teacher tomorrow. Tempting to say 2 so I can have classes til 2 but given I want to get over to CA and check in and drop off bag and get to lang exchange for 3 might be pushing it. OTOH might not. I could perhaps ask for 1:30. No need - even tho feel there is - to reply tonight, as I say will talk to teacher tomorrow before replying.

FWIW the waterproof lining on these walking shoes does appear to work; outer vaguely felt-looking fabric is pretty wet but my feet aren't. Obviously this only goes so far - if any water gets into the opening in the top you're screwed - but still, good to see it works

2238 Bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment