Sunday 4 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Saturday night

2053 Sitting at bar with a Q15 bottle Gallo. Couple of guys at bar and a few others at tables but pretty quiet. Not acoustically; pumping vaguely club-y music. Not much obvious sign of live music. Tis OK, will give it a couple of hours and go home early if not having fun.

2150 Got a litre of Cabro (no litres of Gallo) for 35. Moderately busy but almost certainly no live music. Will stick on for a bit but not going to push it tonight if nothing interesting happens. Just sitting here reading book on phone at bar; couple of women sitting down bar, various people at tables.

2201 Hmm. Although I have a terrible view of what seems to be the stage from the bar, some guy seems to be dicking around with a microphone so maybe there will be live music. By no means certain.

2341 Live music indeed. A guy with a guitar but he's pretty good. Did covers of Lamento Boliviano, Si No Te Hubieras Ido and another song which slips my mind now. Got a second litre of Cabro. Feel a bit pissed/tired but not very. Most of crowd seems local - as teacher led me to expect - though there is one guy who I would guess is expat US up the other end of the bar. It's pretty heaving.

Oh, I saw a poster other day for Marco Antonio Solis playing here. I am not investigating this; I'm not paying Qshitloads just to watch him do Si No Te Hubieras Ido.

Don't understand most of lyrics the guy sings but I guess it's all exposure to the language. Lights are up now and I am assuming singer is on a break; they will almost certainly not chuck us out til 1. Slightly worried about walking home but it's not far from here - albeit it's the quieter bit of the walk - but meh, fuck it.

0000 Back at flat. I was reading book on phone during break in music when I noticed an announcement over PA. Looked up and there were quite a few cops in the place. I actually mostly understood the bit of announcement I heard, but I missed the start. No one seemed to be rushing off but after a couple of minutes I asked guy next to me (no icebreaker like a police raid :-) ) and although he obviously didn't think much of my Spanish, as he replied in English, it seemed we had to leave. I asked why. but his reply didn't really seem to answer the question. So I left; quite a few cops outside too. 

I have no idea why this happened - the cops interrupted the first night at Snug in Antigua but it was after hours at that point IIRC so made sense. I could have gone somewhere else - the bar next door seemed unaffected - but given last night was a large one and I was feeling a bit drunk I've taken the hint and come home.

Oh yeah, the cover the guy did which I forgot earlier was "La Negra Tomasa".

0009 Larding out with some "Chicharrones al natural sabor picante" (spicy crunchy pork rinds) which I bought other day at supermarket. They are perfectly OK (and 0% carbohydrate!) but surprisingly un-exciting in flavour.

0034 Bed. Bit dubious about trying Cerro del Baul again tomorrow but let's see. Maybe I should have tried to go somewhere else but if the universe is dropping me a big hint to go home in the form of a dozen cops, I feel I should take it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment