Friday 23 November 2018

Quetzaltenango, Thursday

1835 School quite good though as usual didn't want to get up and lingered in bed. Asked teacher about my double r, he said I perhaps just need to "emphasise" it a smidge more but that I do kind of make the right sound and I shouldn't worry about it. He did (separately) say I need to pronounce the "r" in "porque" instead of swallowing it.

His group from other school for Lake Chicabal let him down. I asked some other students in break and in the end it looks like I have managed to get together a few people (one definite, some maybes) to go as a private group but without guide on Saturday morning. Teacher didn't seem too upset, not much I could do. General feeling of some people who had done it seemed to be that it is about the one local "attraction" that you can really do without a guide, though doing it alone might not be smart (but might be OK).

Went to supermarket to get stuff to cook with after class - the Mas y Mas near El Calvario, which is cheaper than the one in La Democracia, at least for tuna :-). Had to put my backpack (nearly empty, but school book in etc) in locker as is usual, forgot to collect it again and got all the way into flat before going through brief a) fuck, I've lost my bag b) no, I left it in the locker c) yes, I even have the key on its enormous wooden fob in my pocket routine. Trogged back - 10 minsish each way, not huge deal and it's all exercise - and got bag. Then got into private street by flat and realised I didn't have a lime to cook with (not *essential* but wanted one if possible) so I headed back out and got two from a street vendor in La Democracia (same price as street vendor near school; Q0.50 each).

Cooked - pretty nice, for variety I threw in half a tin of mushrooms, will have other half tomorrow - and then gorged further on two hot dogs. Mostly bummed afternoon away somehow but not too bad. Did wash my (viscose) towel, which produced several sinkfuls of brown water before finally starting to come clean.

Owner of flat replied this morning saying I can extend for 5 days and though he hasn't replied to my subsequent e-mail he *may* be coming here before 7 (ie soon) to collect the money. I am going out to Kasa Kiwi for 8 to join other students for drinks after the thanksgiving dinner there.

One student today also expressed possible interest in the 3 day trip to Atitlan. I need to maybe do some discreet sales work for both trip tonight at the drinks. :-)

1846 Owner just came. Bit awkward but brief as usual.

Phone didn't charge for some reason last night; at 9% when had to leave for school. Another good reason to bring a battery pack with me (in the absence of interchangeable batteries); I was able to charge it on table during lesson using the pack. (I don't normally carry it round; I took it into school specially as I needed it.) Not first time it has come in handy; not quite so bad but phone somehow only at 25% one morning a few weeks ago, pack was also useful to top phone up after that day trip when power was off on getting home and I took it with me instead of mains charger on single night trip to Atitlan other weekend to avoid dormitory mains socket shenanigans (though, naturally, I *did* have a reasonably well located mains socket by my bed there after all). Should also come in handy on 3 day trip; I think there may be some limited mains access but will be useful to be able to top up on the two overnight stops without relying on it, plus I can charge the pack (less of a theft/accidental damage target) from any mains I find instead of the phone.

Better shower now as may struggle to dry off without towel, which is out on the balcony on my travel clothesline.

0150 Just got home. People generally unmpressed w Kasa Kiwi and Pool&Beer, ended up having two litres and a good chat w Sean at Shamrock (and a decent sipping mescal), we tried to go on to after hours bar and met - tho alas I forgot his name - Ronan of band from other nights, the cops were hanging around and we failed to get in and some other place we walked past also didn't go in. Not a bad night all same. Wish had remembered Ronan's name but at least I remember him as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment