Wednesday 20 January 2010

Trying to be romantic about Rio

OK, it's ridiculously late and I hope I won't be up too late for the flight. But I stayed up to recover from my earlier slight drunkenness and I'm feeling pretty sober now, although I've been watching cheesy music videos on youtube to pass the time (as I have done on the odd occasion in London) and while it's kind of fun it's probably not as good as being in bed.

My memory dug up Mike Nesmith's song "Rio", which I recorded off the radio when I was about twelve for some reason. I didn't even know it was a Mike Nesmith song until I looked it up just now on youtube.

I think I should be feeling all starstruck about going to Rio. I must admit, thinking back to being twelve or whatever, if you'd told me I'd be here I'd have been surprised. But then, I'd have been surprised by just about everything about my life now, it's not as if you have much perspective on life when you're twelve, especially if you grow up in a boring seaside town. ("Starter for 10", Rab? :-) )

We'll see how Rio is, but I get the impression it was cool about 50 years ago and now a) everyone goes there and b) it ain't what it was. WTF. I really don't wish I'd been born 50 years ago. In some ways I think the past was a cool place, but I'm far too much of a geek to want to give up on the technology we have now, let alone what we might get. I mean, when I was twelve, there was *no way*, literally no way, I could have found out that it was Mike Nesmith who sang "Rio", it was just a song I happened to catch on the radio. And now I can sit in a cheap hotel room 5000 miles away from where I was born and find out who sang it and actually listen to the song on the spur of the moment. And, unlike some 50s sci-fi novel, it doesn't cost me 20 credits to talk to the central computer either. I'm just old enough to remember life before the internet and just how hard information was to come by and I wouldn't go back for a big clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment