Saturday 16 January 2010

Wow

Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/45804996@N03/sets/
 
I got up late as usual and went into the centre of Sao Paulo today. Since I was passing I went into the cathedral and wandered around Praca da Se a bit, but I was primarily looking to get a decent view from the top of a tall building. The first one I tried (Edificio Martinelli) didn't seem to be open to the public, but thanks to the guide book (which I probably badmouthed rather excessively yesterday) I went to Edificio Italia afterwards. And in short, wow!

There is a bar on the 41st floor, which is quite nice if a touch pricey (they charge you five quid for the privilege of being there, then about three quid a beer afterwards including service) and, in hindsight, a little too 'insulated' to be properly stunning. But as I was leaving the hostess-type woman for the bar and restaurant asked if I wanted to go out on the terrace - an open air balcony running around the outside of the restaurant. And that was just amazing. I don't think I've been in the open air that high up before - probably the closest I've come was sneaking out onto the ledge of the 8th floor at Barcap's building on South Colonnade one Saturday. :-) It really makes you appreciate just how absolutely huge the city is and that it's just about full of tower blocks. I'm not sure you could call it beautiful, but it is impressive.

I also kept thinking about how there was nothing to stop me from climbing up onto the (metre-thick) wall and jumping off, which perhaps added to the feeling of excitement. :-)

I've always been a sucker for high places with decent views but I really was very happy to get up there and see that. Definitely the first 'yeah, this is worth it' moment of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment