Tuesday 21 January 2014

Ancud, Monday

1145 Weather forecast is showers today and rain tomorrow. Oh well. Might save me washing my trousers...

1154 Asked chap, he tried lock and I've been switched to a different room (double bed this time). Seeing the lock work on this door, it locks automatically on shutting and the button inside is nothing. I can't help but wonder if the other lock is simply one of those where you push the button inside before going out and closing the door, but he's the owner/manager and I assume he knows how his own locks work so certainly not going to argue.

1224 Bit grim out but not totally soaked. Found cafe place open, having lomo a la plancha with french fries and diet coke, then will head out to a museum. Do wonder about this barbecue tonight, most of hotel rooms seem to have doors open and be empty, otoh booking.com said I got the last room - possibly the last (and only?) single room. Anyway. Will aim to be back about 7 and if no sign of anything can head out again.

1309 Food OK. Here and now I think about it elsewhere the papas fritas have been more like proper chips than french fries; I just always mentally translate papas fritas as french fries.

1314 Bill 6000, shortage of change - don't have note smaller than 2k - means compelled to tip 510, oh well. Off.

Outside, place is called Balai.

1359 Just been round Centro de Visitantes Inmaculada Concepcion. Quite interesting, building itself pretty cool.

1656 On beach. Looking at guide book I could probably have got ticket to Castro from bus terminal just round corner from hostel, instead of the 'old' one some way off. Oh well, as long as it's not pissing it down it's not a major problem.

Went to 'city museum' (pretty good, some nice mithological straw figue things and the whale skeleton and replica boat interesting) before wandering round the fort and on the beaches around there. It is warmish when the wind briefly stops; quite pleasant anyway in a strange way.

1755 Oh, it stopped raining a good few hours ago BTW. Back at hotel. The owner chappie is fixing the lock on the door of my other room so I can move back into it. Not too gutted at losing the bigger room but a minor faff all the same with the shifting. No obvious signs of preparation for this barbecue. I think I will loiter in my room (loads I want to/can do anyway) and see if anything obvious happens and maybe head down about 715-730 and if nothing is visible will slope off. Maybe it's not tonight, I might have not been paying attention when he told me. Frankly I'm not that interested but apart from not wanting to be rude I feel it's probably best 'in the long run' for me to attend social things like this.

Anyway, let's charge phone while loitering and waiting to be told to move room. Occurs to me that might be something which prevents me leaving 715-730ish, anyway, let's see.

Oh, I went to supermarket and bought some fruit/veg. Ate some in street and brought an apple and a peach back with me.

1828 Swapped rooms. Owner chap just came and knocked on door and said they're preparing the table and he will let me know in 15 minutes. I hope this is nothing too overly formal or long.

2035 Back in rom. Not bad if not great, will write up after, made my excuses and left on grounds (not sure I needed any, was sort of breaking up, but more later on this) wanted to call parents and nearly midnight there. This was half true though I didn't *have* to call (I spoke to them briefly earlier, for one thing). Anyway, let's actually call.

2334 Wifi went off during call to parfents. Showered, washed clothes (other way round). It being coldish went to bed, sort of half expectedly fell asleep and woke up maybe 15 mins ago. Probably sounds worse than it is but major rain and wind noise here in room. Not getting up again, have cleaned teeth with brush without any paste and had swig of water and that will do for tonight. Wifi back on, will send this and write up barbecue tomorrow. Based on chat over barbecue plus my own weather forecast examination earlier I may just be holed up in room here tomorrow anyway. Obviously is somewhat satisfying to hear all this while warm in bed but still.

No comments:

Post a Comment