Wednesday 8 January 2014

Buenos Aires (Tuesday night)

2132 In Breoghan Brew Bar on Bolivar. Seven Nation Army playing. Found this on circuit down Defensa to the square with the bars then back up here. Had seen some other bar on here further north but came in here on whim. Seems OK, went to bar to ask and it's table service, getting two for 50 pints of their own Breo Golden Pride 5.3%. On high stool/table, feel smidge conspicuous but OK. No one gives a shit and I've done this a million times, if anything this shows how fucking virtuous I've been lately, hardly going out at night.

Beer is not bad, a touch sweetish but pleasant. Stronger than would normally like but even Quilmes would be 5%. The other own brand ales were even stronger, though since this is not a session I maybe don't need to shy away from them. Checked as handed key in reception is 24h, though don't intend to be out mega late. Vintage Bar from web search was shut, didn't like to get phone out to peruse my list and since live music wasn't happening in many ways taking pot luck like this was the best option.

Maybe 20 people in here, place not huge but just pleasantly busy. Would be better if I had a lower table but still.

Common People playing now. Raised a smile, reminds me of Rab. No idea if this is a majorly tourist or expat bar, though despite serving pints the beer descriptions of the English-named beers are in Spanish.

2146 Blur's Charmless Man now. Another song which makes me smile for personal reasons. If I had a lower table I'd be staring into space, I should do that anyway, fuck if anyone notices.

They have five different tequilas advertised, most expensive is ARS80 (a bottle? glass?). Jim & Valeria would be OK here.

Think we have the Stone Roses now. Should stop this music catalogue, but OTOH no more boring than most of this shit and Future Steve may find it atmospheric.

2159 The Cure, forget the title, Just like a dream? Ah! Just like heaven.

It might actually be 2 for 1 at ARS35, anyway, way better than 38 a pint at pirate bar and far superior atmosphere. I feel a bit lonely and a bit of a sad git, but really fuck it. No one cares, I do enjoy a beer in a bar on my own and where's the harm. In a way it would be nice to meet someone but at the same time I really don't want the hassle, I only just left home and am not yet starving for social contact. It's just that I am not as inured as I was to being in a bar alone and seeing other people in groups. But not that I don't enjoy a quiet surf in the hotel sometimes, this is more fun even as is. Just relax and stop overthinking it. If it gets to a fifth pint start worrying, otherwise to quote Pete "who gives a shit?"

Pint nearly finished. Forty mins is fairly respectably slow for a first I think.

2217 Mild difficulty attracting waitress's attention so went to bar with my 2 for 1 voucher. Got pint of San Telmo Fire IPA at 6.3%. Am I imagining it is slightly syrupy? But pleasantly bitter.

2234 Reading Old Curiosity Shop on phone, I suspect Little Nell is about to die. Pace Oscar Wilde, if I remember reading it correctly the first time years ago, it is merely drawn out and tedious.

2237 It's improbable but not impossible that on looking round for bogs I wonder if I came here before. I am pretty sure I had a beer in the plaza down the road and this is the first bar on Bolivar north of there, so maybe I did.

2246 Beer going down a bit quick. Wouldn't worry but it is quite strong. Blur again, recognise song but slightly obscure. "We all say don't want to live alone" Song "End of the century"?

2252 Got third pint, reverted to first beer on strength grounds. Would have liked to try same priced but 6% brown ale but to strong to be prudent, every 0.1% counts. No 2 for 1 voucher so temptation to have possibly misadvised fourth reduced. Maybe 10-15 people in here so no idea if closing soon. Been for slash. See how it goes, may have fourth but not pushing it, as I say, see how it goes. 35 is expensiveish for a single pint. Bar hours from web search suggest is no or very generous legal closing time here and some places quote eg 4am even during week but I am feeling - not that I am desperate to stay here mega late - the fact it isn't that busy will have influence.

2307 Seen a sign saying they have a Spanish-English exchange Tuesdays 8pm. Felt sad I missed it then realised today is Tuesday. I saw no obvious sign of such a thing when I arrived so probably not a big event. Still, is a thought that looking for such things (eg on web) could be a useful way to meet people and practice my Spanish during rest of trip, so that's a good idea I might otherwise have neglected.

0052 Back at hotel. Left half of last pint, felt bloated rather than drunk but seemed no point pushing it. Billl 120 which is exactly right (50+2x35), forget what paid with but didn't check change, prob OK. Left 12 on bar as tip. Not exactly cheap but meh. Walk back cool in that late night street way I love. Respectable looking old chap asked me for 10 pesos but said no. But FFS I crossed Plaza de Mayo in front of Casa Rosada and were two cops and a woman getting off a bus and noone else. Trafalgar Sq may not be lively on a Tuesday night but still, come on. OTOH was maybe analogous to walk home via City which I have done many a time and loved the solitude in the middle of the buildings. Not making any judgement. Not a partytastic night and not great way I felt but OK and lots more opportunities, eg Viedma Fri/Sat night. Legged it out of bar after leaving tip, as soon as left wished had gone for slash but not too bad, back at hotel now as said and not gone yet tho will.

Room v warm but I had shut window - they opened it while I was out today, I couldn't get it open myself before as worried would break something forcing it open - have opened it now and sure will help. Feel OK and not drunk or bloated now. All in all everything OK if not the best night ever - main 'criticism' is that it didn't feel that vibrant, never mind if I was invited to the party. But OK. Anyway, should try to eat the two best of an appalling selection apples I bought earlier and go to bed. Will send this now to avoid temptation to waffle further.

No comments:

Post a Comment