Sunday 5 January 2014

London-Buenos Aires (part 2)

Sat 2315 My phone has switched automatically to Madrid time, maybe the previous entries were on Madrid time despite me saying London. I have probably been here half an hour or so. A queue of sorts has formed despite no announcements in any language. As it is reserved seating I am not going to join it yet. Only reasons to rush are a) an unlikely screwup where two people have been assigned same seat b) overhead lockers fill up. But I don't consider those worth standing for just at this point.

Free wifi even worked with Skype (called parents), though I only tried voice as a video call would require speakerphone and that's obviously not private here. Battery 51%.

I don't recognise the airport from 2010, I guess even if my memory could be trusted I am probably at a completely different gate.

2324 Announcement. Flight delayed 1h for 'operational reasons', boarding will be about 0020. Fairly chuffed I managed to get that (except the operational reasons bit) from the Spanish version.

Feel a bit jittery re whole trip but guess it's natural especially after leaving my parents after spending Christmas with them. Though in reality I will probably speak to them way more than I would if I were back at work in London and I will be back in Skegness if only for a weekend (depends how job situation pans out) before Easter, so I will also see them in the flesh earlier than I would if I was working.

Also bit worried re job and the whole of my life generally but it's all just caused by the stress of recommencing the trip I think. Battery 49%. Will dredge Nook out and read on that.

0045 Battery 45%. Boarding is starting, priority and business class. Feeling a bit knackered and dubious about BA hotel and getting there. Twil be OK. If I need to I will stay an extra night or two in BA while I get settled and make my onward plans. No need to worry about that now. Battery 41%, was the prev one a typo or did it just drop?

0111 On plane, another A330-200, I am in row F again. Both middle seats full so not so much elbow room but have my aisle seat so its ok. Battery 40%.

0156 Joy. It appears this flight too has no free food or drink. Possibly first time I have had this on a long haul flight. I have no euros even if I wanted to buy anything. I have mints and water and those M&Ms. They even sell you headphones for the entertainment system and so don't turn it on until they finish selling them. Yes, it is a cheapish flight, but this grates a little long haul.

The two chaps in middle of group of 4 moved as one had Parkinsons and apparently needs to go to toilet a lot. So I now have elbow room. Bit worried I might be asked to give up my aisle seat but didn't come up.

0231 Shocker. The Argentinian customs form is a model of bureaucratic incomprehensibility. Of course I am bringing goods purchased abroad; I am not fucking naked with no luggage. Sigh.

0325 We did get some food; I asked if it was free before accepting it... Battery 38%

1101 (Madrid) Slept but rather badly, mouth dry as fuck and didn't like to drink too much water as felt slightly queasy, possibly more a bad dream sort of thing than reality, some irrational half awake dream thoughts generally and so on. Been half awake for some time though semi-deliberately remaining in timeless world without looking at watch, think still couple of hours to go at least but not sure, just been to bog which has sort of woken me up a bit. Battery 35%.

1259 They gave us a hot chicken ham sandwich (mustard & butter, no mayonnaise) and a chocolate covered crunchy sweet thing for breakfast. I need the bog again.

1310 TV screen near bog - was small queue - suggests about an hour to go. Battery 34%. Planning to switch hopefully fully charged spare in soon then I will have the known remains of this one to fall back on. (I 'need' GPS to help me find hotel, especially as I plan to get the bus from the airport. I even remembered to bring my small stash of Argentinian coins which I hope will be enough to pay for bus ticket.)

1327 OK, checked details of bus (no 8) and got some idea of geography, battery 31%, let's switch. Could do with another shit, putting it down to nerves, will have a good old go in airport when I don't feel under pressure from the queue. ;-)

1331 Hmm, other battery is at 66%. Dunno if it wasn't fully charged or isn't holding it well - it's the battery that came in the second hand phone, not the new spare battery I bought. Still, 66% is OK if not super.

I always speak to the flight attendants in English despite them clearly preferring Spanish. I think it's the hesitancy over getting charged for food which started it off and now I stick with it.

Bit jittery, almost don't want to leave womb-like surroundings of aircraft. Stupid worries about it being too hot (room has no ac) etc. But am sure it will be fine and hardly end of world if not. Do suspect I may need to stay an extra night or two in BA, if only cos I need to book bus a day in advance and first day (ie today) is probably best written off. Not a big problem, I can see how my cheap hotel is and then maybe try to extend there, or maybe go elsewhere if I don't like it.

1238 On bus. Some helpful Argentinian chap called Fernando paid for me on his local Oyster equivalent & I paid him cash, so only cost 4.50 not 9. He spoke excellent English and gave me lot of advixe, also makes me feel a bit less at sea somehow.

1344 At hotel. The price is USD50+22% VAT, if you pay in pesos their exchange rate is 9.50 to the dollar. I paid ARS 520. That is nothing like the official rate, since it is about 6 or 7. This is a complete scam, I make it that I should have paid about 420. I don't give a shit what the unofficial exchange rate is, if you quote me a price in dollars and don't quote an exchange rate I expect the official one to apply. I don't know if this is standard in Argentina now, but I think it's fucking shocking to misrepresent the price like that. I asked and they wouldn't take pounds, not that I have many.

Oh, and the cash machine at the airport wouldn't let me have more than 900 pesos (well, it wouldn't let me have 1400 anyway) and charged me 40 pesos for the privilege of using it. Four fucking quid. Not to mention damn near 5%.

Room is not plush but fine for what I thought I was paying for it. Wifi seems to work. Anyway, shower while charge phone then see if can find some food. Streets round here half familiar but most places look shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment