Saturday 4 January 2014

London-Buenos Aires (part 1)

Sat 1556 Airside. My bag of liquids got examined specially at security, which was bit worrying but ok of course. Told when checked in flight is delayed. I can't remember exactly how much. We might make the connection in Madrid but it's not definite. Fingers crossed, I guess if it does happen I am better placed to cope than average (no sprogs, hand luggage only, no pressing appointments. Still, I'd rather not miss it. Nothing I can do about it anyway.

1614 Bought two litre bottles of water (2.50 on a two bottle deal) and more annoyingly a 185g packet of peanut M&Ms for an exhorbitant 2.99; I could have supplied myself with a snack at non-airport prices. Still, figured I might be grateful for them later. Flight showing as delayed to 1900 but I believe it was scheduled for 1820 so if so and the delay doesn't worsen should be fine with connection.

Yes, the email confirmation says 1820. So probably OK, fingers crossed. Battery at 77%, I do have one spare but should probably husband it a little.

1635 Reading on Nook but just checked exchange rates on phone, jotting down here for reference:
10.76 ARS to the pound
6.55 ARS to the dollar
1.64 dollars to the pound

I should probably withdraw about 790-990 at the airport. Don't want to overstock on ARS if exchange rate does fluctuate badly (not going to try to check that on web now) or everyone prefers dollars (I have a few and some traveller's cheques, rather not use them if can help it but still). At least in BA should have no trouble finding a cash machine and will feel more comfortable with a larger withdrawal once I have the lie of the land.

1737 Went to McDonalds for food, bit lardy but still. Kudos to them for charging normal high street prices (I think) - only £3.17 for two plain hamburgers and large fries. Back hanging around (seated, as before) in departure hall, still says delayed to 1900 and gate information at 1805. Battery at 65%.

1859 On plane. Got my aisle seat, so if we get off fairly soon probably all OK. Battery 59%.

2057 They just announced gate (B25 for me) at Madrid for some connecting flights. Not entirely dure what to make of that. We didn't take off that sharpish but will probably be OK.

2109 Hardly matters but this is an Airbus A330-200. 2-4-2 seating, I am on the aisle seat at right of a group of 4, but both middle seats are free. Food is charged for on this flight so didn't have anything. Felt bit sleepy and think I did drowse off but not sure. Slight headache.

Of course almost exactly four years ago I was at Madrid airport for my connection to Sao Paulo.

2141 London. At gate B25. Flight to BA is delayed. Overheard conversation suggests Air Europa flights often are. I think it is estimated to leave 0030 local instead of scheduled 2355 so not too bad. Security check en route to gates but pretty swift (I was only the second person there) and not too intrusive and I didn't get my water confiscated.

2301 London. Got 15 mins free wifi so will send this.

No comments:

Post a Comment