Thursday 16 January 2014

Bariloche, Wednesday

0904 In queue for bathroom. I need a piss but of course I have to wait while someone showers and then probably while the guy ahead of me in the queue showers. Crock of shit. Woke up wanting to go some indefinable time ago but not wanting to disturb people I decided I could hold it and got back to sleep. Fortunately I am not absolutely bursting even now, though this is a bugger because of course world+dog all want to have a shower at this time of morning.

Didn't sleep too badly at all all things considered. Feel a tiny bit hungover maybe but not sure. Did drink a bit too much last night but no major harm done, I am a little worried about what to do tonight but sod it, I can always lie on bed and read or something.

0908 OK, first person has emerged from bathroom, one more to go. I wasn't going to shower at this instant but I might; my towel is super-conveniently locked away inside my bag inside my locker and I don't want to go get it lest I lose my spot in queue (no one else is waiting visibly, but someone might turn up if I go). I suppose I can dry myself on my shirt or something. Maybe

0951 OK, that guy in queue ahead of me obviously just wanted to use bog so I got in sooner than expected. Just had slash then went and got towel to have shower, no queue. Took my time as charged phone (got about 18% into it, was at 37 IIRC) while doing it. Now waiting outside bathroom door again to have a shave; this is not mega necessary but it's a chance to get a bit of extra charge and frankly I'm up so early time may hang heavy on my hands. Perhaps I will end up drinking a lot of coffee today. Once I shave plan is to go out and find somewhere for breakfast (don't intend to try the hostel breakfast, I perhaps should but not today) and have read of guide book and then maybe just wander a bit if there is nothing overly pressing to do, perhaps go to bus terminal to book onward travel, let's see how it looks once have read guide book.

1109 At  Sant's Bier for empanadas and coffee. Walked down to lake, v nice but feeling at bit of a loose end. Need to read guidebook. Lack of power sources is getting to me, the idea of scavenging for power here and there for next couple of days is not attractive. Can't be helped I guess.

1149 Read guidebook. Feeling dazed, confused and ill prepared. Not going to waffle just yet (also, ffs, I fear burning through my juice)

1614 At bus terminal. I'm going to Puerto Montt in Chile on Friday. Been losing the plot a bit but basically I spent the morning seeking out and eventually finding an internet cafe to follow up on guide book reading. Basically there is a hard to book bus service from here to El Chalten taking two days with an overnight in Perito Moreno. That is like 12h a day on the bus. Guide book says you need to book a month in advance in El Chalten! There is limited availability for a couple of days time on internet, but it is tight. I went to the sort of office though maybe you have to phone here in Bariloche; am virtually certain was right place and got address off web but seemed heavily not open. I dithered massively and started to get really worked up. Strongly considered at this point going to PM and down to Puerto Natales then maybe back up to Bariloche; the bus seems more easily bookable northwards, I could book accommodation ahead and there is less chance of getting 'stranded' as El Chalten and El Calafate probably have a half decent daily link and El Calafate is probably easy to-from Puerto Natales. Went back to hostel for stealth charge and also a second time to pun sun cream on as burning badly. Anyway, when got here saw one company doing a bus to El Calafate but you have to book 2 days in advance (possible) and it is a 27h15m journey via Rio Gallegos. Not doing that. One company couldn't get me on a bus to PM before Mon 21, fortunately there is another company which happens to do Fri and Mon and I just happened to want to go on Fri. Could have got 8am bus but instead went for midday. ARS240. No idea what acommodation situation is in Puerto Montt, will walk back into town and go to net cafe again. Not using laptop in hostel, logistics of charging it a nightmare.

Feeling bit like am rushing too much again. Completely failed to do anything touristy here yet. Tried to call company (number from web) who do a tour of cavernas del viejo volcan but inevitably calling a foreign number (from skype at hostel) didn't work, I obviously don't know the magic secret sauce to turn the number from  the web into one actually dialable. Phone is being really slow and occasionally freezes as I am typing.

Anyway, let's go back.

2032 At hostel. Sat in reception writing postcards and then reading a book while phone charged, fortunately I snagged a handy socket. Felt slightly awkward but not too bad. So anyway battery now at 100%. Waiting outside basement bathroom to wash hands before going out.

Went to internet cafe and booked a private room with shared bathroom (all the cheapish stuff had shared bathrooms) for two nights for about £25 a night. Not fantastic but cheap as I could manage. Two nights may be cutting it a bit short (my usual problem) but there's probably not a huge amount to do, I can probably stay on another night if I want and if I do circle round via Puerto Natales-El Calafate-El Chalten-Bariloche I may well spend at least one more night in Puerto Montt before heading north. Guide book doesn't make it sound great but says some people like its working class charm or something. Who knows? With luck might get some live music as there Fri/Sat nights.

This wait for bathroom is annoying but I really am in no rush, it all kills time. I probably shouldn't drink tonight but I will, will try to start late even if it means walking round for the hell of it and not have too much. I have been relatively abstemious of late.

Gmail app on this phone likes to periodically jump up to the top of the email and let me continue typing in the 'to' field. No fucking idea why but surely sooner or later I will accidentally email a blog entry to some random person in my contacts.

2128 At El Chiringuito for bife de chorizo with french fries and sparkling water. Wandered, checked out couple of bars mentioned in guide book, couldn't find one, another had some SYTs lounging outside but fuck 'em, will see what turns up after dinner, as long as I can get a table don't care. Some git lounging with a mate asked me for money, naturally told him no. Happened to me this afternoon too. This is first place in Argentina anyone has done that. Guys a bit shabby but not exactly destitute looking.

Am sat outside, it is a smidge windy but it was like a bloody oven inside. I tried to find Los Tehuelches, a cheap place mentioned in guide book, but no obvious sign of it. Wind naturally picked up a bit, it's OK.

2218 Food not bad, got two steaks one on top of the other. ARS83, will try to make it 91 with tip. Got bread as well, guzzled lot of that.

2229 Sat at bar in South Bar. Two pints for 40 (til 2330), was wondering about getting a table but I am not averse to sitting at the bar tonight, and also don't want bar staff to 'forget' they owe me a pint. Wonder if it's a dick move sitting here as it blocks access, and I don't like it when people do it in London, but other people are sat at bar so WTF.

Blonde is not too bad, not sure if it is a lager or not but it's OK. They do a red and a black as well. Oh, they took a 50 note the cashier at the supermarket declined earlier.

0449 Bed. Details tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment