Thursday 23 January 2014

Castro, Wednesday

1401 In some small cafe. Having lomo a lo pobre because it's the only thing on menu I recognise. No prices shown so winging it but looks v local. This is third place I have tried, first one had three items on verbal menu, second had a sad slurry-speaking woman in doorway who recited menu to me. I thought churrasco was a kind of steak but here and at the sad slurry place they see to do it with words like palta, mayo, italiano and completo which suggest it is more like a hot dog, anyway I am not ordering that and getting something covered in sludge. Hence lomo a lo pobre as I can probably trust what that is. Maybe I am somewhere out of the proper town centre but I thought this place was bigger than Ancud, it feels far more sullenly small town so far.

1410 I don't know if I'm having an off day or people here speak differently but I am having trouble understanding them.

1416 Something on news on TV about a cafe in London (yes, England) charging per minute not for what you eat. (Sound is down, I read caption.)

1439 Bill 5k, making it 5600. Food OK if not stellar, anyway, off. Bus terminal then maybe try church, already seen it on walk to hotel, colouration is very striking.

0012 Been bumming around hotel room for ages. I went to tour agency recommended by guide book (seeing palafito houses en route), they do a couple of tours to churches and a hiking thing in national park and guy reckoned weather would be ok and he could lend me a waterproof jacket. But it's super expensive for one person and he had no one else going yet either thu or fri. I left my email address then wandered round.

Back at hotel I filled in website form for same agency to be sure they had my address right. Came back saying is self guided bike tour of national park tomorrow leaving 930, which was not mentioned at all as even remotely a possibility when I spoke to them (because I was very explicit about my weather and clothing worries, and they didn't realise tis was same guy???). Been dithering all night. Not too worried about fitness as is presumably at own pace etc but am bit worried about weather as have no proper gear. Didn't reply to email, current plan is to try to drag myself out of bed 8ish to head over there for 9 and probably do it but speak to chap in person first rather than shittily going back and forth via email. Plan to take daypack with no valuables in but maybe spare top and perhaps even spare trousers in a bin bag just in case I do get soaked (though would I ever change my trousers? Probably not, although the other pair only weighs about 300g so as long as don't somehow lose daypack no huge harm in taking them). This isn't what I had in mind but should probably try to take these things as they come etc etc. Anyway let me go clean my teeth.

0103 Finally going to bed. Serious dithering re bike thing. But fuck it, getting up at 8 is hardly massively shit even if it does suck, and if I talk to the guy and can't do it or choose not to it gives me more free time today, and if I do it what's the worst that could happen? I'm probably not going to die of hypothermia or anything like that. Anyway, main thing is to force myself to get up and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment