Saturday 18 January 2014

Bariloche-Puerto Montt

1146 On bus. Despite choosing my seat from a seat plan on computer screen and explicitly asking the woman at the ticket office if it was aisle, the seat number on the bus doesn't match the plan and I'm in a window seat. Happy happy joy joy. Not as bad as on a plane and if I'm really lucky seat next to me will be empty.

Got out of bed just before 10, having been up for queue-then-piss at about 8. Only four pints last night, I was tired and Colin a bit pissed, still a good chat though. Walked over to terminal, had three empanadas at terminal. Went to bog but didn't need to go, had to tip 50 as attendant was super attentive preparing cubicle. Think is bog at back of bus anyway.

Given immigration and customs forms as got on bus, relatively clear and unwanky. Some chap has borrowed my pen.

1201 Naturally a group of three seemed to pick my seat area to sit when they booked, one next to me. Fortunately the bus is largely empty at back so have shifted to one of several empty double seats. However we still haven't gone so it is possible other people will turn up. I don't know if we stop anywhere en route. Fuck it, worst case is I move back.Anyway, pulling out now and so far I'm golden.

As getting on ticket checking bloke asked how long I had been in Argentina (not just making conversation). I wonder why it matters to them. Maybe if I had overstayed my visa it would somehow come back on them, but then again he didn't check my passport so I could have lied if I'd overstayed and so I am still a bit unclear. Doesn't really matter I guess.

1414 Been through Argentinian border control, back on bus waiting to cross no man's land into Chile. No problems though as always paranoid I had been given a bit of paper on entering country which had lost; I hadn't of course, and I knew it, there was no bit of paper. Followed a couple of 40something tourists of indeterminate nationality through but it wasn't too intricate. As always I expect entering to be harder than leaving, but it's OK. There's just something about border crossings which is always a tiny bit stressful and a tiny bit exciting.

1533 On bus waiting to drive off after entering Chile. Surprisingly long if scenic gap between two border posts, but I was getting seriously drowsy. Had to leave bags on raised bit at one side then they ran sniffer dog down as we queued for passport check etc. Queue a bit long and slow as only one counter but no trouble. Is a bit warm on bus, maybe that's partly why was drowsy.

1704 Pulling out of Osorno. Still got my double seat, not the one I booked half of. People got off here but no one seemed to get on. Place seems slightly shabby from brief glimpses from bus. Anyway, it's Puerto Montt for me today...

2208 At some cafe waiting for (of course) lomo a lo pobre. Hotel OK, walked it. Showered, surfed a bit. Came out about 930. Male owner (as opposed to his wife) outside having fag. Tells me all sorts of confusing shit in a mix of Spanish and English. Asked if was a restaurant nearby. He tells me its dangerous. Then questioning suggests it's not dangerous in the direction of the centre. Then he starts chuntering on about cars back. Turns out I think he means the taxi colectivos. But he gave me a three digit number I didn't memorise when he was first chuntering, then when I asked for the number again he said 3. And also gave me some jawbreaker of a name. What it is the name of I don't know. He kept going on about a parallel street (in English). What the fuck *about* the parallel street I don't know. I am consequently in a state of palpitating funk. There were a couple of inoffensive but still dogs on walk in. I also suspect there is no such thing as an ordinary taxi here, and no fucking way do I want to try handling a colectivo. I'm likely to end up stranded in the arse end of nowhere without a clue how to get anywhere.

When I came in this cafe waitress sort of asked me what I wanted before I sat down. I had checked menu outside but surely she didn't expect me to order. I asked if I could sit down. This is probably just because I'm on fucking hot bricks. I thought I might have food and a beer or two and that plus laziness is why I didn't come out earlier (it has sort of only just get dark).

I was thinking about staying here a third night given I didn't really get to do anything today but if I can't even go out at night I might fuck off. Super unhappy.

Bloke did say when questioned it was safe to walk back but not v confident. He even came out onto street with me, though frankly not sure what he showed me if anything.

0508 Back at hotel (have cleaned teeth already, in bed). That was an odd but good night. I am tempted to write up now but it can wait, I should get to bed. I am pleasantly not pissed despite having had a few beers. Anyway, sleep. I probably will ask about staying here another night, even if I don't go out tomorrow night I would like to see the sights and tonight shows the place isn't too dangerous (while I am advised a certain caution is required). Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment