Friday 10 January 2014

Buenos Aires-Viedma

1824 At terminal. :-) Battery 66%. Swapped batteries last night, the Samsung battery had held its charge and was at 100%. That is the one in now, so should have this 66% and the other battery at 100%. Have engaged power save mode on phone on offchance it helps. Annoyingly don't think I can turn off cellular phone without disabling GPS too.

1851 Just paid rather exorbitant 17 for 500ml bottle diet Pepsi, but wanted cold drink so couldn't help it. Had slash, didn't want to ask for key to cubicle but frankly I didn't need a shit earlier and I don't need one now, so not much I can do anyway.

1856 You fuckwit Steve. I thought the bus went 1912, it goes 1952. Oh well. Better than getting it weong the other way round.

1915 Oh, bag seemed to weigh a ton on walk over here. Think it is largely cos I had a 1.5 litre botle and 0.5 litre bottle of water both largely full. It seemed pretty light as I left the UK.

1944 On bus. Good job as couple sat next to me in terminal were starting to get on my nerves slightly and apart from few/no other free seats I wasn't going to move on their account. I already knew I had a single seat, but it is fairly nice and I can see the seat will indeed convert into a flat bed. Slightly surprised not to see any seatbelts. Brought bag on with me, there is a thin overhead rack which would probably take main bag if I removed daypack but whole thing fits under seat using the leg support positioned in 'recliner' mode anyway, that way I don't have so much chance of forgetting a bag. Though Viedma is the terminus so shouldn't be too hurried, but I expect to feel pretty rough at 7am anyway. Let's get headphones on anyway.

Have put jacket on, as expected/hoped aircon is a touch fierce. We are pulling out of terminal now.

Fri 1120 At Bucanero, having large ham and pepper pizza (lardy but large only 5 pesos more) and sparkling mineral water. Got in about 8, trekked to hotel (few too many dogs in street but nothing happened of course), room not ready til 12 so been walking streets. Weather quite nice though slightly cool with wind in shade. Probably seen most of the town of interest this side of river. Had 1.5 litre pomelo drink, v few restaurants open yet so been waiting, obviously coming round to opening time and this was first place found. This place had some guy performing live a week or so ago as seen posters, same chap is on somewhere else tonight. He was on at 2330 here, ffs. I may chance my arm here 10pmish.

Left bag at hotel.

Lots of lightning on horizon last night from bus, some quite cool, shame we were moving really.

Didn't sleep mega well, stupidly left bag locked under seat so in dark couldn't put Nook away or get water out. Nook survived the night, probably, but it seemed to decide it wanted to reboot and some genius decided connecting to a wifi network should be a compulsory part of the setup process. Because who might ever be somewhere without wifi? Inconceivable. Didn't feel too bad this morning all the same. Not sure the lie flat bed is so much better than normal cama, you can't sleep on front and it's still a bit cramped compared to a real bed and I think the heavy recline of normal cama is about as good.

What else? Didn't write stuff before as either lazy or saving battery or half asleep or trying to be.

Felt stupidly jittery on bus as we came in, as though this small town (not that small, really) would somehow be dangerous just because it's small.

Took some more cash out, bit of a struggle to find a bank, first one irrationally rejected my card with usual unhelpful message then looked in guide book for hint and found another cash machine booth for same bank on another street which took it OK. Few people queueing at both locations.

Waitress said something bit ago about not having any ham but that it was no problem. I must admit she took me a bit by surprise and I kind of just nodded and said thanks. Fuck knows. Sort of hungry and sort of not.

1205 Think bill 77. Waitress said something which - no, 67, ffs steve - may have meant the small v large price diff was 15 but as I'd been misinformed she would charge me for a small, but totally not confident about that. Tipping 8, possibly stingy if I got a large pizza cheap but is more than 10% and frankly Argentina ain't cheap.

1232 In room. Quite nice, wifi seems to work. Should be nice for thirty something quid a night but still.

No comments:

Post a Comment