Friday 17 January 2014

Bariloche, Thursday

1206 In queue at post office to send postcards, going up to some skilift thing up mountain nearby afterwards. Was half planning to anyway but chap I met last night (Colin) raved about it. Woke up about 9 and went for slash then back to bed. Didn't feel too bad all in, got up about 1030 or 11 IIRC and then faffed hugely in hostel having shower and surreptitiously washing some underwear in sink and dithering about bringing a bag out (I haven't but have my jacket, I can carry it and it may be worth having up there). Only one of the three bathrooms had any toilet paper. Also I left my phone charging while in shower and the fucking thing decided my charger wasn't compatible and disabled charging to protect the phone, so I got no boost. It has done this a little bit before when the charger has struggled to maintain power because of dodgy sockets and/or plug adapters but was far more stroppy today. I did manage to get a couple of percent into it (up to about 67%) more to prove it's not totally broken than because it's any use.

Queue is quite big and not moving that fast but will stick it out.

Will note down while I remember Colin recommended bar called Alamo in Buenos Aires.

1220 There seem to be two independent queues for more than two ticket windows. No doubt I am in the wrong one. Mine also moves way slower. This is probably the queue for some sort of document processing. No obvious signs of course. No plastic windows separating staff from customers, btw, they are just sat behind a counter.

1226 ARS20 for each card!

1353 Cunt of a bus driver.Trying to go to Cerro Campanero or a rely on getting someone to pay for me if i get off anxd wait for another bus back, i now have to stay on this one all the way into town, buy another ticket at the ticket office and then come bac out again. i am sure the driver did it deeliberately, what a fucking bastard.

Cerro Campanario is the name. This is different from. Cero Otto I assume which is the one with cabin in main street and which was the one I would have done if Colin hadn't told me about this, though I thought it was the same one when he was telling me about it.

1411 to be scrupulo9usly fair of course i didn't ring the bell. i do still believe the driver was being a deliberate arsehole about it by not stopping anyway. writing sans cfaps ass bashing out on phone but caN hard read screen in this light and just wanted to get it down however badly.

1543 At top. View is spectacular but come into cafe, bit pricey but I am hungry.

1918 In reception at hostel charging phone.

Knackered (all that standing on bus and at my height it's a bit of a stretch to hold onto the handrails). When got back into town bought a 1.5l bottle of diet soft drink. Guzzled it all, feel a bit loaded. The enormous sandwich I had at the cafe at CC left me feeling really full. May go out and buy fruit and some peanuts for bus when phone charged. Not sure about having dinner as a proper meal.

Oh, I think I got stung by a wasp twice in the cafe. It was crawling on my coat and I somehow (bit of a blur) touched it and I got this sharp prick kind of sensation round base of right thumb. I then somehow got the fucker on my T-shirt and it stung me through that as I brushed it off. On the other hand, it was not really painful after it had happened and there doesn't seem much residual pain. Did wonder if it was a yellow spider but I saw a wasp on the floor afterwards which would perhaps be a bit of a coincidence otherwise.

Anyway, views very good, lakes and mountains all the way round 360. Took Colin's advice and didn't look back from chairlift up so as not to spoil it. Bit disturbing how they made you lift the barrier on your chair yourself while still in air about 10m before getting off. Views did lack a slight initial 'wow' factor just because I was so hungry and still slightly hacked off from all the tedious bus travel. It was very cool though, and you could see Bariloche from one side.

Anyway, last night I was sat at the bar and this other chap was at there on his own. I studiously ignored him and read book on phone for first pint but on second figured I'd take a punt, addressed him in Spanish and it turned out he was English. We had a good old chat til closing time at about 4am, I am probably meeting him again there tonight, which may not be super wise given bus but otoh I felt OK today and being on the bus isn't too stressful (tho suspect will be no bog, and bit worried it will leave without waiting for my non-Mercosur customs process which is presumably slower than for locals, but presumably that doesn't happen).

Colin is 52 yo London taxi driver (lives in Essex), travels a lot as his work gives him lots of flexibility.

Am thinking would be good to get somewhere 'nice' (en suite, ideally a fridge) for say three nights after Puerto Montt. Be good to chill out a little. Incidentally there weren't any hostel dormitory type beds available in PM IIRC, all the options seemed private room with shared bathroom at worst. Don't think coping too badly with hostel but am a bit sick of the queues for the toilets and the continual locking and unlocking of lockers/bags etc. Actually *sleeping* in a dormitory isn't a big deal, it's the complete lack of privacy and 'trust' which really wears me down. Even as it is someone could in principle nick my camera out of trouser pocket as I sleep, I should prob lock it in locker but man it's such a fricking faff. Oh, and the fact you get people knocking on the door when you're in bathroom. Anyway.

2116 At El Chiringuito. Having trucha al limon with mashed potatoes and a sparkling mineral water. Bit stuffed but seems smart to eat, also this will be slightly healthy I guess. Popped out to a supermarket (La Anonima on same street as El Chiringuito) just before and bought bottle of water and some peanuts, so I have basic supplies for tomorrow. Daypack is lying on bed stuffed with lowish value shit, remnants of some other bottles of water included. Main thing is to have water for tonight/tomorrow morning, can buy water anywhere tomorrow.

Lowish on Argentinian cash, have extracted 300 from my zipped belt and stuffed 200 of that into hidden belt. In total I have about 500 on me, probably 600 taking smal bills into account. Should easily see me through tonight and tomorrow morning, and though I will virtually certainly be back in Argentina (BA for flight back even if Patagonian loop plan falls through) I am reluctant to risk being stuck with a lot of depreciating Argentinian pesos. Also if I withdrew a wodge now I'd have to carry it round and risk losing it, and if I withdrew less than 1000 the fee would be even more outrageous. This waffle is a bit out of date as I had an idea I had maybe 200-300 which would have been sailing a little closer to the wind.

Forgot about buying fruit at supermarket but bit pushed for time and I'd still have wanted to eat a cooked meal here and was bit bloated so it's OK. I am doing my best with the five a day and that's that.

2145 Food not bad, feel bit bloated and not touching the bread. Guess this will hopefully slow me down drinking :-) and as long as I don't feel sick tis OK. The bread calls to me and I have a feeling the whole basket will just be slung in the bin but going to resist, and after all it's just as wasted if I eat it unnecessarily. It's not really the waste, it's the fact I am a lardy git and I like bread.

2152 There is a hotel called Venezia just down road from my hostel. Every time I pass it I get the Hombres G song in my head. That would have been a good thing to write on my postcard to Z instead of the waffle I did write. Oh well.

2154 Bill 83, might be slightly more generous tonight as been here three nights in a row. Not mega generous but let's make it 93. Anyway, will finish water and head off to South Bar and see what happens.

0326 Bed. Hostel bit livelier than last night, poss due to their birthday party or cos is earlier or cos is Thursday. South Bar definitely busier than yday.

No comments:

Post a Comment