Tuesday 25 March 2014

Bogota, Monday

1154 Just got up. Been snoozing on alarms since about 9, seriously. I can't help thinking snoozing is a terrible habit, would be better to just go back to sleep. Maybe I should just set an alarm for say 1pm and let myself wake up naturally. Mind you, doesn't help the room is just slightly on the cold side and that never helps getting out of bed. Probably take ages to go out as need to consult guide book and worry about safety. Sod it, do what I can I guess.

1329 Come out. Lots of museums shut today, not fucking around with tour arranging (prob impossible anyway) or the risky business of that hill. Got lost on way out, I could swear I went the direction indicated by phone compass on OSM but then it turned out that was exactly opposite. Didn't notice immediately as trying to minimise having phone out on street so couldn't watch the current location dot run off in wrong direction as I moved. Fuck knows. Maybe doesn't help that hotel is on a weird corner not shown on map precisely so hard to get my bearings outside hotel. Also it's all very well having this grid calle/carrera scheme but right here the street layout is nothing like a grid and there are a/b/c calles shoved in and fuck knows.

In some small pizzeria which is bit intimidating but fuck it. Managed to order a pizza after much dickering trying to find out how big a medium is. On my way to Casa de Moneda which sounds OK but going partly cos it is open Mon. F&CO website says a British tourist was robbed at gunpoint in this area. But I suppose it was one of thousands etc and guide book etc makes it out to be OK. Getting increasingly rammed and I have a table and wondering if going to end up sharing or if I should preemptively move to counter.

Finished paying hotel when came out. They haven't charged me the 16% VAT which is a bonus. Counted up my USD and should have ample even for two USD30 taxis plus hotel in BA, not that I intend to spend that much.

Mega warm in here, am sat near semi-open kitchen, but it's OK, quite nice in a cool-ish way out so will cool off after eating. Does mean loads of people milling around on my left.

No diet coke, they offered me natural lemonade and it really is lemony and unsweet. I like lemons but an unusual taste. Need to conserve it as not v big and having a medium pizza.

Place is Ricasole Pizzeria on Carrera 4.

Oh, the pizza sizes are named exlusively in English but everything else on the menu is in Spanish only. WTF? Maybe this is just one of those weird things, like coffee sizes in some places in UK using Italian names even though English has its own perfectly good words for the same things.

1819 Back at hotel. Went round CdM and some of the confusing back passages which unite it with an adjacent art museum. All free. Got told off for trying to take a picture of some big lump of gold, as always can't see why prohibited but when it's free bit less annoying. Walked up towards Museo de Oro station as had seen shop there other day where hoped to get diet coke and fruit but most shops shut at 1710. Walked round a bit and ended up in major plaza, where I bought a grilled corn on the cob and after eating that went into nearby supermarket and bought soft drinks and water and fruit/veg - room has a fridge so might as well take advantage.

May see if any of adjacent bars open/decent later but not til 8 or 9 and won't be a late one.

2041 Will prob go out in 20 mins or so. Oddly jittery given there is a pub right under the hotel if open and failing that several just round corner. Anyway, will send this now...

No comments:

Post a Comment