Thursday 13 March 2014

Guayaquil, Wednesday

1212 Drowsed somewhat fitfully most of the morning, finally got up about 1145. Heading out for lunch soon, bit edgy but what can you do?

1242 In tiny, stiflingly hot El Restaurant del Puerto. Been given English language menu without anyone saying a word to me. It's hot out but this is hotter than in shade out I think.

I ordered in Spanish, f it. Asked for orange juice as other ppl seem to be drinking it but apparently it's tamarind juice, so that should be interesting. Think I like tamarind but mainly eaten it dried.

1247 Tamarind juice good but from colour is evidently not what other people drinking.

1412 Wandered, found myself in market, bought 16GB micro SD card with adaptor for USD15, only got one as bit worried will be duff, got bit lost, looked at map on phone, walked over to Malecon and north along there, couple of observation towers I went up, quite nice, hot but not intolerable, now in some aircon food court place at north end of Malecon having a USD1.30 diet coke.

1520 Went up to lighthouse and 'museum' park at top of hill, having a beer (USD2.50 for unlabelled but prob 650ml bottle of Pilsener) before heading down the other side. Cool views. Grey and black striped cat asleep on a seat. Saw black cat asleep under a boat in museum park.

Oh, I wanted to use some of the micro-valued coins I have accumulated but at least some are helpfully labelled 'dime' instead of 'x cents'. Because *of course* I know what a dime is. I think these are US coins, I read they use their own coins and just use the US bills but maybe both sets of coins circulate. ISTR it's like than in Panama but not sure.

The beer has a label saying max price to consumer is USD1 but I am assuming that's in a shop. USD2.50 isn't too bad, it's about GBP1.50 for probably 620ml, so in fact not too bad compared to paying just over a quid for similar bottle in that bar in Trujillo where met security guard chap, and this place has nice views being on the hill so I'd expect it to charge a premium (whether it is or not I don't know, this is the first beer I've bought in Ecuador).

Am calming down a little re security. F&CO site after all says 'be careful' in some areas (despite guide booking saying some of those areas are safe) but it doesn't say "don't go". I think if I'm careful/paranoid after using cash machines, don't take unregistered taxis and avoid waving my camera around unnecessarily (esp at night) I'll probably be OK. I am still wondering if walking to a bar at night would be smart but it's probably not too dumb an idea, and at least it avoids taxis. However, I will probably have a quiet night in tonight anyway and see how I feel tomorrow night. Maybe I will go out tonight but probably not, let's see.

Oh, I am the only person here in this bar. A few probably locals around the top of the lighthouse and in the park. I guess it is working hours.

1548 Tempted to get another but won't. Don't know if will do anything else particularly touristy today but if not it's OK.

Place is El Faro del Cerro.

1724 Back at hotel for second time. Struggled to find working, non-rip off (Banco Boliviano wouldn't let me wd more than 100 and wanted to charge me 2 fee) cash machine but got one which let me wd 240 for 0.50 in end. Paid hotel, got map and advice, went out to supermarket and bought fruit and warm water and cold coke. Went came back just now they swapped my key for a set of three so I can get in after 11pm. Just may chance El Colonial near supermarket not fcar tho not nec v late. Anyway for now shall shower and eat fruit and so forth, if do go out won't be til 8 or 9.

Oh, by experimentally using one in supermarket a dime is evidently 10 cents.

1944 Bit jittery but am thinking I might pop out fairly soon and go over to El Colonial for a beer - and if they're going to charge me stupid money for a tiny beer I will just have one and leave - and not come back very late. I don't think this is insanely stupid but I don't know.

2024 FFS, stupidly jittery but going out. Will send this first...

No comments:

Post a Comment