Monday 17 March 2014

Guayaquil, Sunday

1146 At Ciro's #2, they actually have free tables for once, getting half chicken and chips. Bit lardy after gorging on super unhealthy stuff all day yday but meh. V hot in here but tis OK.

Slept v badly, woke up tired but with sort of vaguely flu-ish (dunno why I say that, not sure I can remember last time I had flu) ache in bones about 3am and struggled to get back to sleep. Hope I'm not coming down with anything. Probably not, I do feel a bit better now if not absolutely 100%. Got up about 1030-11 but Skyped parents etc before coming out.

Had look at guide book, nothing massively 'must do' but I might try a museum which shuts at 3pm and I might also see if I can get on a Henry Morgan sailboat tour. Failing that might go have another look at land iguanas (why are they called that? *are* there marine iguanas? still, that's what guidebook calls them) in Parque Bolivar.

Worrying myself a bit that I feel badly run down but I think is largely in my head plus perhaps side effect of not sleeping all that well.

Must be the cooking etc cos even with the fans and being in the shade it is much more stifling in here than out on the street.

1216 Left, paid for water, they didn't insist re food. They had warned me it would be a while, the stifling atmosphere and a slight growing sense of panic/discomfort and the sickness induced suddenly at the idea of shovelling down roast chicken and chips got too much for me. Am at Chifa Sabroso now, it's cooler and I've ordered arroz marinero. I think in reality I just need to get a bit of food down my throat and then I will start to feel much better. It's not as if I felt ill when I was in the hotel room this morning, which strongly suggests a strong psychological element to me.

1300 Some intimidatingly large chewy chunks of seafood in there but OK. I feel a bit bloated but definitely better.

1413 Went to Museo Nahim Isaias, not bad (and free) exhibit of monster movie posters oddly diverting. On Captain Henry Morgan now, waiting for the (hour long) cruise to leave. They go at 2 and 4 but when I went to buy a ticket five mins ago turned out the 2 one hadn't gone yet. Not printed boarding pass yet, will go do that after this.

1722 Back at hotel. Supermarket shut so no fruit, being super unheathy lately, meh. Went and got some crisps and bottle of diet coke. Picked up passport at hotel, not lost :-), they can call me a taxi tomorrow, I said flight at 1 (it's actually 135 departure) and they said for internal flight leaving here 1115 would be OK so (I checked) 1030 gives me plenty of time. Checkout is at noon so I can stay in room until go. Hope sleep better tonight.

Boat trip quite cool though nothing amazing, got cash after, went to net cafe and printed boarding pass, then back to Parque Bolivar which was cool - possibly best thing here - but a bit sad as I knew that would be last thing I did here and got to leave tomorrow and starting to worry bit about work etc (also a bit during boat trip) but meh. Oh, I had a (personal, but at least I knew) beer on the boat, dunno if bars would be open tonight but not even trying for multiple reasons and eg didn't go out last night for same reasons (except need to be up early for flight).

Oh, about 10-20 people sat around inside and just outside the tiny 24h shop watching a football match on big TV over counter, I felt a bit in the way browsing, one guy had to move so I could get a diet coke out of the fridge.

0249 FFS, surfing my head off (though what I am reading feels productive), need to get to bed.

0300 OK, OK, bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment