Sunday 16 March 2014

Guayaquil, Saturday

1736 Been back at hotel a bit. Stuck in sleep loop this morning, not v pleasant but still. Got up about 1130 and finally left hotel at 1230-1ish. Went over to KFC for lunch then to nearby MAAC. Free and sort of interesting though somehow struggled to capture my attention a lot of time, probably says more about my state of mind than museum. Interesting film called Cacotopia showing. Then walked down to south end of Malecon to see "crystal palace", bought some sun cream on way, then went to bank to withdraw some cash and back here. Bit lazy but meh. Might possibly go out for more food later but not sure.

2204 Didn't go out. Surfed. Forced myself to check in online for Quito flight - I have a boarding pass on my phone but don't trust it, will print paper one at internet cafe tomorrow, several nearby - and book hotels for Quito and Buenos Aires. Really is a flying visit to BA, 2 nights but don't land til 8pm first night. Tis OK, it's a Sunday anyway, spent quite lot of time there in Jan plus virtually certain to be back there again. Wrt Quito, I was torn but in the end went for a hotel in old town (which has little nightlife aiui). One hotel in Mariscal had a comment (by an Ecuadorian guy) that it was 1.5 blocks from the 'Gringolandia' bars down a well lit street so walkable, which tempted me, but since even the generally relatively laid back guide book says to take taxis at night even if it's just a few blocks I decided the reality was it makes no difference so might as well be in old town for daytime convenience. I didn't get a monstrously sociable hotel but in reality I am shit at trying to meet people in ho(s)tels and frankly at this stage of the trip I am just not desperate enough to do so to allow it to influence me hugely. Does occur to me I might be able to take that SIM into a Movistar shop in Quito (they appear to have only one in central Quayaquil, though Claro shops are on every corner) and have another go at getting it activated there. I can also take some advice on local safety from hotel in Quito. I do also wonder - F&CO advice is not specific to Guayaquil in this regard - if the "don't drink with or talk to anyone" advice I got re bars here applies equally in Quito, in which case nightlife is out anyway regardless of my ability to phone for a taxi or walk home without needing one. Have to see how it goes I guess.

0025 Bed. No huge plans for tomorrow and think I've done most of the obvious tourist stuff - I don't think you can go up the clock tower on the Malecon - and if I do ever go a Galapagos cruise I'll probably be back here for a day or two and I might well 'do' Ecuador more thoroughly in future (if I feel I can enjoy it, not that it hasn't been interesting here) but still bit good not to waste last full day too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment