Sunday 30 March 2014

Bogota, Saturday

1433 On Cerro de Monserrate, waiting for cable car down. I came up on the funicular (as it was due to stop at 2-3pm so I figured better get that up, as I wanted to use both). Views pretty cool though lot of haze.

Woke up 10-1030ish actually feeling OK but rather weakly stayed in bed til about 1130 despite being desperate for a piss. Left hotel about 12 and there were quite a few people about and actually at the lower terminal a huge contingent of soldiers. Didn't really think about doing the walk up the hill; would be sort of cool but guidebook implies it's more a morning thing for safety and is also a bit vague as to if it's reopened and I didn't check on web etc. Besides I did want to try the funicular and cable car. Maybe next time I will walk up. (Didn't seek out the path, dunno if would have been hard to find.)

Had a small empanada

1506 Fucking hell. Internet cafe shut. Asked if another one nearby, guy said something surly and incomprehensible with a negative quality.

1508 It's OK, in another one across street. If it ever lets me start using it.

1559 Well that was pretty cool. Went looking for restaurant, found one but thirsty so went round block to find a shop where could buy cold diet coke. Found one and a bunch of guys were playing jazz/samba (? - they did "oye como va" (sp) at one point) in the middle of the road. Stayed to watch, now in restaurant "Los Autenticos Del Pacifico" for paella and a colombiana ligera. Waitress just asked me something incomprehensible about 'san chichita' (already forgotten) so I said yes when she repeated it a second time.

Had an empanada (tiny) and a rather pricey 4k grilled-corn-on-cob up on Monserrate (been spelling that wrong I think) and a quick apple in room before left. Will probably go for walk (may see if music still/back on, they were taking a break or maybe stopping when I left) and then lard out on a pizza before night in.

Been given a bowl of soup, this is an included extra, I just asked. Prob what the incomprehensible q was about.

1611 Some sort of seafoody soup, quite a few bones so not gone down to bottom but OK if not exactly a delight.

Incidentally yday morning went and asked for my passport so I could take the credit card out on false pretext I needed it; I wanted reassurance they hadn't lost it. I need to collect passport this evening but should be OK. I asked at same time about taxi and they said they could organise it (one comment on web said they wouldn't) and it would be about 20k and 20-30 mins. Flight is 1125 so allowing 3h at airport I probably want a cab at 8am, which is a bit sucky but could be worse.

I hope I am going to get paella and haven't got confused. It occurs to me I haven't seen any prices but probably OK and if it's 25-30k then not the end of world.

1626 Bill been put on table, 30500. FFS. Still, paella is pretty good. Am a bit annoyed with myself though.

1645 Can't quite finish it, am absolutely stuffed. Some of the seafood a bit rubbery but OK. Paranoia says not smart to eat seafood day before long flight but probably no more risky than anything else.

Don't really feel that was worth the money but not the end of world, not insanely expensive.

1812 At reception, collecting passport and arranging taxi for 8am. Street musicians were there, watched them til 6 when they stopped, probably for the day, but in any case was a handy opportunity to break off to come back to hotel.

2055 Oh, FWIW been quite sunny and hot today, whereas up til now been OK (iirc better than Quito) but a bit overcast and pleasant but not overly warm.

0111 Bed. Bit weak but not really tired and it's not like I've been drinking. Some noise from street but no worse than flat in Elephant & Castle, in fact not as bad. Dunno if was like this last night but didn't know cos was out myself. Didn't go out for pizza, as was stuffed after paella and also I had quite a bit of fruit in hotel fridge to get through. Am sure not perfect but overindulgence in fruit today will offset tomorrow when probably won't eat any.

No comments:

Post a Comment